Laser cutter calibration assistant
by i-make-robots, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
I bought a laser cutter. The worst part of calibration seems to be aligning the mirrors. The laser beam is invisible and very dangerous, so the recommended way takes days and goes like this:
- put new paper/tap on the 3 mirrors
- fire invisible CO2 beam
- look at holes in paper/tape
- adjust mirrors
- remove old paper/tape
including a lot of opening and closing machine in the middle. If you had a mostly harmless visible beam that matched the C02 beam then you could adjust the mirrors in minutes. ...and that's why I made this.
- Get a $10 cat annoying laser
- Print two copies of this part. It is printed on it's side to prevent delamination problems.
- Bolt them together with 25mm M3s so that they clamp onto the cat laser. The middle finger on the holder should push the button on the cat laser. The holder has long fingers so that the laser can be tilted, if necessary.
- Rest it on a flat surface. You can also use the bottom hole to mount it on an M3 rod (which would need a base of some kind).
- Put the tape on the mirrors.
- Fire the C02 once.
- Move the cat laser stand so that the red dot goes through all the tape holes. Both lasers now match. Do not move cat laser again.
- Remove tape.
- Align mirrors.
- Turn off and remove cat laser.
- Go mess with your pets.
This has not yet been tested so I would appreciate your feedback.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Laser cutter calibration assistant by i-make-robots is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving i-make-robots a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure i-make-robots would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).