Prusa Y-axis belt tensioner
by chrille, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
I found it a bit challenging to get the Y-axis belt tension just right by using the belt clamps, so I made this Y-belt tensioner in SketchUp. It allows for more accurate tensioning of the belt using a M3 bolt and captive nut. The design is based on the belt tensioning system used in GregFrost's LM8UU X-Carriage (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9869).
The holes have the same spacing as the original belt clamps, so you should be able to simply replace the existing clamps without drilling new holes.
The tensioning bolt can be reached with an allen key even with the build plate mounted on top.
Sorry for the SketchUp design. I haven't taken the plunge into parametric modelling yet...
- Clean up if necessary
- Insert captive M3 nut
- Bolt the two parts to the plate, so the bottom part has the belt slot facing down towards the plate and the captive nut is facing towards the middle of the plate. The top piece should have the teeth facing down, grabbing the teeth of the belt.
- Screw in the M3 tensioning bolt (I used a 25mm one)
- Adjust the bolt till you get the tension just right
Prusa Y-axis belt tensioner by chrille is licensed under the Public Domain license.
What does this mean?
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving chrille a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure chrille would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).