Magnetic Arms for the Rostock Max Printer
by jetpad, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This is an all printed version of the magnetic arms that go with the magnetic effector I created for the Rostock Max.
Edit: The connectors will also fit 3/8 carbon fiber rods if you want to use carbon fiber or some other sort of rod. The filament holes can then be used for squirting in some glue after you've adjusted the length of things in some sort of jig.
(48) 10mm diameter x 3 mm magnets (eBay)
Steps to assemble
For each arm, you'll need two connectors, one rod, and 4 magnets to go in each connector. You'll be making 6 arms so all together that'll means you'll need to print six rods and 12 connectors.
I printed all the parts using PLA with 4 shells, 20% infill, 0.6mm skin, .25mm layers and 0.07mm bed roughness. The bed roughness really comes into play with the rods. I discovered I had it set to .5mm for a long time and that was causing my pentagon shaped rod to be too big on the bottom side to fit into the connector. And I actually printed the rods one at a time so that they would be as identical as possible. It also eliminates any stringing problems between printing multiple connectors or rods at the same time.
Try printing one rod and two connectors first so that you can see how they go together before printing all of them. You'll need to add a total of 4 magnets to each connector.
- See the video on how to put together an arm. Clean up the holes in the rods and connectors. Put the magnets in the connector and make sure they all have the same polarity. Stick the connectors on the rod and lineup the filament holes (1.75mm). Stick the filament in the four holes on each rod with about 5mm sticking out each side. Take a soldering iron and melt down the filament to the connector and press it into the hole. Be careful and don't burn your fingers.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Magnetic Arms for the Rostock Max Printer by jetpad is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving jetpad a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure jetpad would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).