Belt Drive Wade's Extruder
by iquizzle, published
Why? Cuz it's retro! Hipsters like Bre will show up at your door just to tell you how cool your extruder is.
Actually, belt drive has several advantages over printed gearing.
- gears don't wear out
- smoother operation
- easier to tightly clamp gt2 pulleys onto the motor shaft
- less friction
This mod changes the motor mount to accommodate belt tensioning and includes a motor-side bearing brace. Mounted on UConduit (shown). I'll be making one for my MendelMax and posting pictures soon.
- GT2 pulley - 5mm bore (17T standard, 36T bowden)
- GT2 pulley - 8mm bore (65T standard, 60T bowden)
- GT2 belt (88T standard, 94T bowden)*
- 608 bearings (I used 3x total, including the one for the wade's idler to properly space the hobbing, this could be different for you depending on where the hob is on your bolt)
- M4x50 screws for clamping the M4 wade's idler
- standard wade's hardware
- 4mm x 1/8 NPT push-to-connect (bowden only)
I have only tested the bowden configuration so far (on my UConduit h-bot http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:102972), so this is a "work in progress" for another week or so. I will be testing the non-bowden configuration soon... although I don't anticipate any problems.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Belt Drive Wade's Extruder by iquizzle is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving iquizzle a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure iquizzle would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).