Glow Stick Candelabra
by Bioluminescence, published
Inspired by an item in the video-game, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which totes itself as Cyber-Renaissance in art style, what we have here is a printable, good sized, glow-stick candelabra to bring a little neo-noir class to your home or work.
(In game, you'd find the relevant prop in Jensen's apartment.)
27.5cm (10.8") tall without glow-sticks 40cm (15.7") tall with glow-sticks installed. 152g (5.4oz) of plastic, printed and trimmed. 8hrs (approx) printing time.
I had to take a few liberties with the design of the 'candle holding cups' for easier printing - those flat gentle curves couldn't survive without support. Instead, I went for a sharply faceted holder, which I personally prefer - I like the low-poly look.
Recent Commentsview all
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
Print one of each part, excluding the deusexcandelabra-arm-02.stl file, which you'll need two of, and the deusexcandelabra-cup-05.stl which you need 3 of.
- Base - The base only just fits on a Thingomatic print base. No raft required.
- Middle - Prints best with a raft, so that it doesn't fall over during the print.
- Top - REQUIRES a raft. If you can slow down your printing, this print will benefit. At default Thingomatic/ReplicatorG speeds, it barely manages to stop from going wobbly at the top.
- Arms - Print two of these. No raft required, and they print fast. The arm tab may need a little trimming with a knife to fit in the socket, but because it's an overhang, it prints a little 'spongy' so it should jam into the socket and firmly stay.
- Cups - Print three of these. No raft. The innermost cup may require a little trimming with a knife, or you may make do.
- Assembly -
Setting the base on a flat, solid (and non-delicate) surface, insert the two wooden skewers until they touch the surface.
Slide the middle section (large bulge upwards for accuracy, but you can go wild and put it on upside down if you're feeling like a rebel ;)) until it's flush with the base. If required, trim the two arm tabs until they just fit into the top part. Insert the arm tabs and keep them secure. Slide the top part (narrow end upwards) on to the top of the skewers - this will probably be the most difficult fit. Socket the three cups on the uppermost pegs of the candelabra.
Once happy with the construction, use a strong glue to hold the pieces together. Otherwise the cups are a little wobbly.
- Usage - Take three 6" glow sticks, color of your choice (but aqua seems the most accurate to the game) and if they come with a molded hook, very carefully carve the hook off with a sharp knife. Do not slice your own hands open. Or other body parts. Not on my watch. Crack your glow sticks and shake to mix. Firmly insert the glow sticks in the candelabra cups. The fit isn't perfect, alas. Recline in your rennassance style, but neon lit, chair, swigging the mature beverage of your choice out of a tumbler covered in hairline cracks due to you underestimating your own augmented strength. (Optional).
Disclaimer - I am in no way related to, or involved with, the developer or publisher of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. No infringement is meant by the inclusion of one of their concept art pieces - just showing one of the inspirations. I will take down the image if requested. (I mean to upload a screenshot of the in-game asset at some point too.)