Stacking Logs for a Log Cabin
by sconine, published
We have had some debates around the house about the cost of these logs, I suppose given the amount of plastic in them, energy used to make them, etc... they are pretty inefficient. My point of view is that at this point in the evolution of 3-D printing we're still trying to discover what is worth printing, so with that in mind, figured what the heck might as well post these since they are kind of fun.
Thanks for the comments! Pretty interesting to see the math behind the cost. Makes me feel better.
Recent Commentsview all
The bleeding edge hurts, we shouldn't be in this for money. We are pioneers and unless we come up with our own kit, we buy. It's rare people build something useful like this toy.
gt; Unless you calculate in the cost of the machine. Then, you've got to print a lot of stacking logs to justify the cost.
Which you should if you want to talk about cost effectiveness. The truth is the very, very few people will print enough parts, over the lifetime of the machine to justify the purchase as a money saver. When you factor your time in the equation you probably will never see cost effectiveness vs ma
ss production. This isn't why you have a Makerbot anyway, it to print things that *have never been made before in the history of the Earth*.
Re: cost effective, when I checked on the cost of replacing one sheared off piano key, it came to $800, which I was not going to do for a loved but really beat up ex player piano. The replacement key I printed (for $0.05 worth of plastic and electricity?) cost the same when you added in the cost of the Cupcake, but I got a free 3d printer out of the deal.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
These changes make the first layer go down slower and a little wider/thicker so that it adheres to the platform very well. I was noticing that the outline and warm-up extrusion generally left buggers or lines of plastic that then caused the early layers to peal off. The changes above fixed that.
One other "trick" I've found useful, is that I position these on the build platform using the "move" function in replicatorG so that they are on the flattest spot of the automated build platform. My ABP is getting pretty warped after ~100 things I printed, and the left side seems to be the flattest part of it, so I generally print things on that side. Good luck!
You must be logged in to post a comment.