The Toranado Precision Geared 1.75mm Extruder - v2.1
by Toranado3D, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Update 3/26/2017 - Side Mount Toranado files are released (links are updated below). I will post a large update explaining all of the details when I am finished with the build instructions this week).
Update 3/25/2017 - Kits are finally available and these kits will work with all Toranado versions (both Standard and Side-Mount version)
A couple of notes:
New build instructions for all versions are in the works showing how the new NEMA-14 cork gasket is integrated into the extruder.
I am sorry for the long delay - I was sent on a business trip out of state and have just recently got back on my feet here in Michigan. I am in the process of training my son to help me in the future in case of this happening again. :) Thank you for your patience.
- Kits ordered this weekend will ship Wednesday 3/29/17
Hardware Kits - v2.1 Toranado Kits
v2.1 Gear and Shaft Kit - Contains the all-metal precision gearset, all required shafting, and screws to attach gear cover to the gear.
v2.1 Fastener Kit w/ Bearings - Contains all required fasteners, nuts, connectors, tubing, bearings and steel shaft collar. Also contains a NEW NEMA-14 cork gasket for the motor.
v2.1 Combo Kit + - Contains both the Gear and Shaft Kit and Fastener Kit w/ Bearings.
Note - Kits will work with all Toranado versions (regular mount and new side-mount versions)
Available Toranado Versions - Files and Build Instructions
Rear Mount Precision-Geared Versions
- Left-Hand Gear
- Left-Hand Gear w/ BL Touch on Right
- Right-Hand Gear Note: Left-hand build instructions included in ZIP file. Actual build will be mirrored
Side-Mount Precision-Geared Versions
- Side/Flush Mount - (Compatible w/ P3Steel) Now Available!
- Side/Flush Mount w/ BL Touch - Now Available!
Thingiverse Community Involvement - The Toranado is well supported by the Thingiverse Community and MAKERS have added the following THINGS to support the Toranado:
TORANADO X-CARRIAGE MOUNTS
- i3 8mm X-Carriage Mount
- i3 8mm X-Carriage Mount w/ 45mm bearings by Cheetahkid
- i3 10mm X-Carriage Mount by Big Cooter
- Makerfarm Pegasus Mount by Leo76
- TS 2020 Rail Carriage by Timeshell
- TS 2040 Vertical Rail Carriage for TEVO Tarantula by Timeshell
- TS 2040 2020 Rail Carriage by Timeshell
- OneZ-i3 Mount by TechGirl_Mods
- X Carriage for Wanhao Di3 by Beevus
- Toranado MPCNC Mount by DarthOctane
- K8200 Alu Profile by Trojan3d
Also compatible with i3 Rework and typical 23x23mm x-carriage hole patterns.
BED-LEVELING SENSOR MOUNTS
- 12mm Z-Probe by irond4n
- 12mm Z-Probe by dvseliteus
- 18mm Z-Probe by gvalente
- 18mm Z-Probe by funbobby2001
How I Designed This
I met a guy named Big Cooter, and he pushed me over a cliff.
Fine Tuning Your Extruder
Setting the Extruder Steps Per Millimeter:
Ultibot 1.75mm Drive Gear
Several Makers have tried to use Drive gears other than the one I spec'd from Ultibot. Unless you can find a drive gear that has the same effective diameter, I do not recommend using it - as the tangent point on the bearing will not apply force in the proper area on the drive gear. It is essential your bearing align well to the drive gear. I am currently looking for ways to include proper drive gears in future kits.
The NEMA-14 Stepper Motor
The motor I have spec'd is rated at 500mA, and even at the rated voltage NEMA14's run hot - be sure not to exceed the rated voltage. Also, You MUST follow Item #9 of the Build Instructions as well - isolating the motor heat from the extruder mount is critical.
How to set the NEMA-14 properly For the popular RAMPS 1.4 setups:
DRV8825 1/32 stepper - you should take a DC voltage measurement exactly like this. To properly set the motor current, you should adjust your potentiometer to get the reference voltage as close to 0.25V as possible. 0.25V = 500mA (0.5A) to the motor. (Any VREF measurement between 0.24-0.26 should work fine). Formula: Measured VREF x 2 = Motor Current
Pololou A4988 Driver - measure to voltage exactly like this. If you are using drivers from Pololou - to properly set the motor current, you should adjust your potentiometer to get the reference voltage as close to 0.2V as possible. 0.2V = 500mA to the motor. (Any setting between 0.19-0.21 should work fine). Formula: Measured VREF x 2.5 = Motor Current.
NOTE: If you are using certain Chinese clones of the A4988 Driver, the formula is different. See This Post about adjusting your voltage setting on the stepper driver, depending on the type of A4988 that you have.
.STL File Print Settings for a 0.4mm Nozzle
Recommended Print Settings
- 2.1-30mmfanmount.stl: 4 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 25% infill
- 2.1-LH-decorationcover.stl: 4 Perimeters, 0.15mm layers, 21% infill
- 2.1-LH-extruderbase.stl: 3 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 50% infill
- 2.1-idler-wpad.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 80% infill - Remove Print Pads After Printing
- 2.1-idlerholder.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 25% infill
- 2.1-idlertensioner.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 80% infill
- 2.1-30mmvent-wpad.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 25% infill - Remove Print Pads After Printing
- 2.1-LH-gearprotector.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 21% infill
- 2.1-40mmfanduct.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 21% infill
- 2.1-LH-lowercover-wpad.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 21% infill - Use same settings for BLTouch Version, Remove Print Pads After Printing
- 2.1-LH-decoration-spacer-.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 21% infill
- 2.1-LH-conncover-base.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 21% infill
- 2.1-LH-smallgearcover.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 21% infill
- 2.1-conncover-hotend.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 21% infill
- 2.1-LH-bearingholder.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 80% infill - PET-G Material Recommended if possible
- 2.1-washer-M5.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.2mm layers, 21% infill
- 2.1-gearcover.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.15mm layers, 21% infill
- 2.1-30mmfancover-lownoise.stl: 2 Perimeters, 0.15mm layers, 21% infill
What You Will Need to Build
Complete Toranado Bill of Material - (Needs updating as of 3/25/17)
- 1x Full Set of Printed Parts
- 1x E3Dv6 1.75mm Universal Hot-End Kit - Note: also works with E3dv6 Bowden or Off-brand versions
- 1x NEMA-14 Stepper Motor
- 1x 30x30x10 Cooling Fan
- 1x 40x40x15 DELTA Bed Cooling Fan AFB0412SHB
- 1x 5mm Shaft Collar
- 2x 625zz Radial Bearing w/ ABEC#1 Rating or Better
- 1x MR685ZZ Radial Bearing w/ ABEC#1 Rating or Better
- 1x Ultibot's MK7 Drive Gear
- 3x JST Male/Female Connector Pairs
- 1x Toranado 48p 19T Steel Pinion Gear
- 1x Toranado 48p 94T Aluminum Main Gear
- 1x 5mm Dia. Shaft 50mm Length
- 1x 5mm Dia. Shaft 25mm Length
- 2x M3x4mm Brass Knurl Nut
- 2x M3 Nyloc Hex Nut
- 5x M3 Hex Nut
- 1x M3x40 Machine Screw
- 4x M3x30 Machine Screw
- 1x M3x22 Machine Screw
- 3x M3x16 Machine Screw
- 10x #4-20 x 3/4" Self-Tapping Screw
- 1x #4-20 x 5/8" Self-Tapping Screw
- 8x #2/32 x 5/16" Self Tapping Screws
- 14x #2/32 x 3/8" Self Tapping Screws
- 6x 1/8" Bind Rivet Washers
- 6x M3 PTFE Washers
- 4x M3 Washer
- PTFE Tubing 4mmOD 2mmID - 75mm Length
- 3x PTFE Tubing 5mmOD 3mmID
- 2x M3 Idler Springs
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing