Loading

Elvis recleaned Skull

by ssd, published

Elvis recleaned Skull by ssd Oct 24, 2011

Description

This part was originally a medical model, but it has been cleaned, recleaned, mangled, hollowed, support added, and cleaned again. (Thanks everyone who has worked on this model!) I'm sure by now, it has lost a great deal of its original anatomical accuracy, but it sure does look nice.

Eventually, it will print nice too...but this is still a work in progress.

I've completed cleanup of the basic shape.
I'm having problems with all of the parts that were drawn; I'm thinking that either they are too complex or not manifold in the first place, and meshlab is too simplistic to do anything but verify if the files are OK and reorient the faces. I've been manually cleaning them up in blender, but it is slow.

More from People

view more

Liked By

view all

License

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

The pieces (e1-e4) here were extracted using Meshlab from the parent model as the individual surfaces that were in it. There was a partial hemispherical inner surface that I discarded as unnecessary (I think it was left over from carving out some of the insides).

E1a (the main body of the skull) was composed partially of the original skull but still had a piece of the hemispherical surface, but the edges were not joined correctly at the boundary. I manually stitched it together in blender. (Meshlab couldn't do it.)

The next goal is to use blender binary operations to subtract the parts from each other and then remove left over blobs that stick out in the wrong places. (I've started this in the file uploaded, which I will replace as I go.) Specifically, the top of the "teeth" sticks above the nose, the jaw support sticks above the jaw, the jaw and skull both have blobs inside the support piece. Once I've deleted all these left-overs sticking out, I'll union the results together.

The next step would be to try to improve the upper lip to give it more backing support so maybe it can print without drooping. Also, some modification of the inside top of the skull would reduce drooping threads.

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Top