Loading

Painter’s Pyramids

by ferret7, published

Painter’s Pyramids by ferret7 Nov 24, 2009

Featured Thing!

Description

I couldn't wait for UPS delivery so I used Rapidform's XOR to make a parametric model and then 3D printed up a set.

I designed these as four sided pyramids with a .75" through hole so I could insert 3/4" PVC or Black pipe, can't do this with three sided pyramids unless you use equal length pipes - not really adjustable.

Added three sided pyramid for comparison.

Recent Comments

view all

The advantage to the commercial product's tetrahedral shape is that if they get tipped over, they still only have one point sticking up, just like a caltrop. I understand why you did it your way and what advantage that gives you, I'm just commenting. :)

I reoriented the Paint_Pyramid_00.stl to WSC XYZ in Paint_Pyramid_00a.stl see if this sits correctly on the platen.

Looks like the bottom of this is not in the XY plane... can't build it as is. I'll try rotating it before I feed it to skeinforge.

Liked By

view all

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

not much to say - just print it ...

"The usual way of finishing the top side immediately after bottom the is to flip the project and set it on a large board studded with nails. Painter’s Pyramids work the same way, but unlike nail boards, they can be moved around quickly for any size project, they won’t leave prick marks in the surface, and they nest into a neat, compact stack for storage."

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Anonymous on Feb 26, 2010 said:

The advantage to the commercial product's tetrahedral shape is that if they get tipped over, they still only have one point sticking up, just like a caltrop. I understand why you did it your way and what advantage that gives you, I'm just commenting. :)

ssd on Dec 13, 2009 said:

Looks like the bottom of this is not in the XY plane... can't build it as is. I'll try rotating it before I feed it to skeinforge.

ferret7 on Dec 13, 2009 said:

I reoriented the Paint_Pyramid_00.stl to WSC XYZ in Paint_Pyramid_00a.stl see if this sits correctly on the platen.

Starno on Nov 25, 2009 said:

This is a very cool concept for a product. I think a spherical top surface would make it better though, since you would still maintain a single point of contact while not having to worry about penetrating the surface of the object your painting.

theron on Nov 25, 2009 said:

The points work well because they minimize the surface area of the object they contact - hopefully enough that you don't need to touch up where they did. I have a bunch of these (purchased version) and they work great, and surface damage wasn't an issue. You could always flatten the tip a bit if it's an issue in your case.

This is awesome - never thought about printing these.

Top