Ghostbusters Ghost Trap (1984)
by countspatula, published
- Added alternative doors. After a lot of research I made the gap between the doors slightly off-center. Some would like it centered, so I made alternate doors. There are also smooth versions with no hazard tape guidelines for both.
- Printing Guide updated to v7 with notes on new parts.
- Currently working on electronics guide.
- Printing Guide updated to v6 - includes notes on Ultimaker 2 and 2+.
- Various small corrections and tweaks.
- ALL assembly guides are now finished:
- All previously released guides have minor updates and fixes.
- Electronics guide to be announced - it will be awhile - lots of work.
- Please see new Ultimaker note in the Print Settings section below.
- Printing Guide updated to v5. Includes print bed size.
- Uploaded fixed 'side_LT_rod_FULL_x2.STL' now with holes. Accidentally uploaded the pre-booled version last time.
- Uploaded 'top_frame_dual_outlets.stl' - alternate version of top that has smoke outlets on inside AND outside of ring to allow trap to smoke better when closed. Should print fine but untested with smoke.
- Getting questions concerning the scale of parts. Most slicers expect metric so parts have been exported in mm. To help confirm scale, I have uploaded cube_1_inch.stl and cube_20mm.stl. Depending on what system you are using, load one of these cubes with the parts and confirm if it is 1" or 20mm. If so, all the parts should be at proper scale.
- Printing guide has been updated to v2. Fixes made and exploded diagrams added.
This Ghost Trap is over 58 parts designed to be fully 3D printed except for the screws that hold it all together. The trap can also accommodate electronics for lights, sound, door mechanics and smoke. The first two gallery pictures show a Deluxe trap with as much real hardware as possible.
The Trap Pedal is also available to print:
A complete list of hardware needed for a Standard trap is included in the downloads. You can also get all hardware and Deluxe upgrade parts directly from me: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CharlesworthDynamics
This is a hybrid between the GB1 & GB2 traps - overall size, screw placement and knobs are GB2, the protruding cartridge is GB1. I modeled the trap starting with excellent plans from Sean Bishop and Stefan Otto from www.gbfans.com. From there I made further modifications based on my own research and an abundance of photo reference.
While the trap is fully printable, it was designed based on real parts whenever possible so they can be swapped out as an upgrade. For example, 1/16" aluminum plates can be swapped out by using the 3D printed ones as a template.
To learn more about how the Trap was designed and built, see me on Tested.com:
Notes:You will need a print bed that can accommodate up to 8.8" W x 4" D. The original was fully printed on the Dremel Idea Builder. All files have been run through mesh repair and are ready to print. They are oriented for optimal print quality. I'm not providing print settings since it can vary wildly from printer to printer. Certain parts, such as the handle and handle frame should use a higher infill for strength. Other parts, such as the foster connectors benefit from slower speeds. A hardware list and print guidelines are included in the download. SPECIAL ULTIMAKER NOTE: The side panels and bottom frame JUST fit on the UM2 print bed. In order to print you have to open Expert Settings > Skirt > Line Count and set it to 0. The part should be placed going left to right and nudged as far left as it will go. It's been recently discovered that due to the new fan shroud on the UM2+ the side panels must be rotated approx 45 degrees and bottom panel can't be printed at all without swapping out fan shroud. See Comments section. Finally, I have also discovered that Cura refuses to print the scribe lines (paint guides) on the top doors. MakerBot Desktop and Simplify3D print them no problem, not sure what's up with Cura - prints fine otherwise.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Ghostbusters Ghost Trap (1984) by countspatula is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving countspatula a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure countspatula would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).