Filament spool with aluminum bar
by Clax, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Another filament spool but this time with aluminum parts.
Yes, I love the aluminum and use it often for my works.
So I created this project starting from a bar of aluminum 10x10.
My intention was to create a filament spool with a variable diameter to fit the different providers of filament.
I also need to attach the spool to the workbench. So I made the pin with a nut 6MA inside(fig 4 and 8). I really like this idea, although it is not mine, but do not remember where I saw it. Of course anyone can change the base of the shaft to suit your needs.
The central hub can be mounted in either direction, it changes the ledge of the spool. (fig 5 and 6).
Sometimes it is useful to fix an end of the filament. Each stirrup has a slot with variable widths for filaments of diameter 1.7 and 3mm to secure it (Fig 7).
For this project, you need two Bearing 608ZZ and aluminum bar pierced 10x10mm, about 600mm.
- Print the parts: a hub, a pin, three brackets and three grafts (support not required)
- For the pin with nut inside, it is necessary to pause the printer when has almost finished printing of the headquarters of the nut. So you put the nut and you finish printing (fig 8)
- Cut 3 aluminum bars pierced 10x10, 180mm long
- A small file to clean the sites for aluminum bars, so come with friction
- Enter the two ball bearings in the hub
- Insert the 3 bars in the hub (should enter with force to lock)
- Insert the three stirrups in the bars near the hub
- Put the filament, then expand the stirrups until the required diameter and block with the proper grafts
- Insert the filament spool in the pin
- If the filament spool rotates too much, you can enter a simple hydraulic gasket, before inserting the spool on the pin (Fig 9)
Filament spool with aluminum bar by Clax is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving Clax a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure Clax would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).