Encoder Wheel Generator
by NickAmes, published
This is a PostScript program to generate optical encoder wheels. Unlike other encoder generator programs, it is highly flexible and has many features, such as:
- Correct inside and outside diameters, regardless of line width.
- Quadrature capabilities, with adjustable phase difference.
- Automatic scaling of text size.
- Optional index track, with adjustable size or automatic fitting to segment size.
- Automatic page filling with cutting allowances.
- Most features can be turned on or off.
To use, open up the file in a text editor and edit the settings. Then, open the file in a PostScript viewer (Acrobat?, Okular) or interpreter (GhostScript, ps2pdf) and print it out.
If you find any bugs, please email me. My address is in the file.
For best results, use the latest version.
v1.4 (latest) Added page size options.
v1.3 Corrected bug caused by me being idiot about how quadrature actually works. I was calculating the phase difference based on one segment, but two segments actually make up a full wave, so the quadrature came out as half of the PhaseDifference. Many thanks to Rafael Pinto for finding this.
v1.2 Corrected bug causing a 1 degree gap in the segment track at extremely high segment counts (>700).
v1.1 Corrected bug causing letter descenders (such as on g,j,p,q, and y) to be drawn on and below the underLine. Letter descenders are now placed above it.
v1.01: Corrected typos in code comments.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Encoder Wheel Generator by NickAmes is licensed under the GNU - GPL license.
What does this mean?
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
We're sure NickAmes would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).