Retro Rocket Pencil Case
by RealAbsurdity, published
Check out the demo video:
UPDATE: 9/26/2013 There was a slight misalignment in the case_print.STL file that caused the outer shell to rest slightly above the build plate. It has been fixed and re-uploaded. Thanks to coolarj10 for noticing and pointing out the error.
Recent Commentsview all
Wow thats a long print! 12 hours for the case, 15 for the carousel! I did have the issue with the feet of the rocket being too high which kinda messed up the feet at the end.. but they filed down OK. I am having trouble with how tight the parts are, i broke a clip on the carousel clipping the 2 bits together, the screw part is really really tight and i cant get the lid on. any idea's? I'm waiting for the supa glue to dry now :( Im thinking if the scale was slightly out on my machine it would make everything bigger or smaller?
Which makerbot do you have? Some of the parts were near the max z height on my Replicator 2 when I designed it. If it is too tall you might need to break it up in blender, print two pieces and glue them back together. The scale is correct to function as a pencil case if it is imported with mm drawing units.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
I sliced each of the plates of case pieces in Makerware at .25 mm layer thickness for the rocket and .2 mm for the ruler parts and pencil toppers. Two shells is sufficient for sturdiness and stability at .1 infill. It is a tall piece though and a long print (took a total of 15 hours) that is well worth the wait.
When you first assemble the carousel into its threaded fastening a few drops of oil (I used 3 in 1 household type oil) will help it thread all the way into the rocket base and keep it moving easy.
On a side note for the Ruler: I had some issues with missing infill right around the 60% mark when I sliced and printed the entire tray with all five ruler pieces and yet they sliced and printed fine individually. So I uploaded the individual ruler pieces as well in case anyone has a similar issue.
UPDATE: The extrusion problems on the ruler seem to be caused by repeated extrusion and retraction on the layers with the hash-marks because my original Makerware profile used the "doExternalspurs, true" To alleviate this problem and also make for a better print overall, make sure doExternalspurs is set to False.
UPDATE: 9/26/2013 There was a slight misalignment in the case_print.STL file that caused the outer shell to rest slightly above the build plate. It has been fixed and re-uploaded. Thanks to coolarj10 for notching and pointing out the error.
Prototypes printed in PLA from ToybuilderLabs
You must be logged in to post a comment.