She said yes!
by M_G, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
After several years of a relationship as well as lots of research, reading, designing and several rounds of prototypes it is time for a big decision to be made. Here is the engagement ring I presented to my intended recently as well as a brief description of it and the design process.
The design is based on a Tiffany Etoile Solitaire Ring and features a 0.31C internally flawless round brilliant Tolkowsky cut Fancy Intense Blue (Boron Doped) Cultured Diamond set in a flared semi-bezel crown of 950 Platinum-Iridium on a D-shaped "Court" Band of 950 Palladium-Ruthenium.
It seems most goldsmiths & jewellers I talked to prefer not to work with Palladium, multiple-metals, custom designs, stones they have not purchased themselves, cultured diamonds or non-white diamonds. This design features all of these so getting a goldsmith who would work with me on this project was tough and it was barely finished in time. Getting the diamond was also a challenge, as it was held up in customs for several weeks leaving very little time for the goldsmith to actually make the ring. In spite of this the end product had excellent workmanship and looked fantastic!
As a side note, the pictures don't do the stone justice, it is really sparkly and appears a deep blue in bright light.
Changes from previous version:
- Changed dimensions to those used in the final version
- Changed Band to Rounded hemi-ellipse type
- Removed second crown
- Added a bowtie cutout to the ring band for the mount to sit into
- Made the crown section taller and raised the diamond with it to better show it off and prevent the cutlet or point of the diamond from protruding from the hole at the bottom of the crown
- Find yourself in relationship with someone
- Realise you connect with them on a deep level and want to be with them forever
- Design prototype ring, repeat until satisfied
- Acquire resources, materials & ring size of intended
- Become highly skilled metal smith OR locate skilled artisan willing to take on a custom design
- Use previously gathered resources and ring size to make object
- Present to intended
Don't forget to insert needless paperwork, delays, indecision, uncertainty & frustration at almost every step of the way
She said yes! by M_G is licensed under the All Rights Reserved license.
What does this mean?
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is not allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving M_G a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure M_G would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).