Loading

Business Card w/ Working Planetary Gears

by staffert, published

Business Card w/ Working Planetary Gears by staffert Jan 13, 2010

Featured Thing!

Description

We love phooky's work.

When we saw the card, we needed to make a few for our selves.

Now the guys here never leave to see a customer without a sample card in their pockets. Yes, all the gears turn.

Hope this gives back a little to the community.

**UPDATE**
Had to redo the card back file as it omitted the sun gear, also resubmitted the ring gear as it was corrupted.

Recent Comments

view all

To all that have had a hard time printing this object....
This was printed on a Z-Corp 650. It was printed in pieces and assembled.
It can be printed on most other machines, as long as you think.
Yes, it may need support material, but you can always redesign it.

I am a bit confused.
The Front.stl has nubs on both the bottom and the top of the object, making 90% of it overhang. So you must print with support.

The pictures of your card make it look like the top is level on the top side. If that is the case, you could print without support and life would be easier. Perhaps you just sanded it smooth?

Others have had no problem, just reposition the shell on the base. I don;t know what software you use, but it shouldn't be to difficult.

Makes

Liked By

view all

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

1. Print using favorite 3D printer.
2. Post finish, sand, paint and season to taste as desired.**
3. Assemble with your own flavor of glue. (We use cyano-acrylate)
4. Feel smug & cool.

** We like to use our colour (color) 3D printer to really make the card pop! If you want one like that too, just call us at protofacturing.com.

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

staffert on Nov 21, 2013 said:

To all that have had a hard time printing this object....
This was printed on a Z-Corp 650. It was printed in pieces and assembled.
It can be printed on most other machines, as long as you think.
Yes, it may need support material, but you can always redesign it.

cargo on Aug 14, 2013 said:

I am a bit confused.
The Front.stl has nubs on both the bottom and the top of the object, making 90% of it overhang. So you must print with support.

The pictures of your card make it look like the top is level on the top side. If that is the case, you could print without support and life would be easier. Perhaps you just sanded it smooth?

Engineer247 on Apr 3, 2013 said:

Sadly it's unprintable because the gear clamp doesn't sit on the build plate!!!!

staffert on Apr 4, 2013 said:

Others have had no problem, just reposition the shell on the base. I don;t know what software you use, but it shouldn't be to difficult.

Greymantalker on May 15, 2012 said:

any chance of storing the stl files also in DXF for us laser engraver guys?? thx GMT

sirmakesalot on Aug 27, 2011 said:

Now THAT is a business card!

staffert on Aug 29, 2011 said:

Why, thank you.

mctrivia on Jun 16, 2010 said:

Files need to be blown up by a multiple of 25.4 to be the correct size for a business card(my guess inches used instead of mm). Also card front.stl gets errors when try to slice and the clips on it make it unprintable anyways on a makerbot once you pull that piece out of the full thing. removing the raise edge on the top side and flipping it upside down though would make it printable.

staffert on Apr 4, 2011 said:

STL files don't have units, but yes, it was done in inches.

It has to be assembled, so I don't see why you can't print the individual parts. Others have done it.

noahh on May 29, 2010 said:

I would print this on a Makerbot in a hackerspace, which mean I would have to pay by the minute. I would love to make this, but I don't know if I can afford it. How long will it take to print everything out?

Thanks.

staffert on May 31, 2010 said:

We could print one for you, but the issue isn't print time, it's consumed material and assembly.

I could make you a deal on a kit that requires assembly.

contact us. www.protofacturing.com

staffert on Jan 18, 2010 said:

Done.

I also updated the back of the card to include the sun gear merged into the back so one less thing to glue.

cbiffle on Jan 14, 2010 said:

The sun+ring file doesn't seem to be downloadable. I have a sneaking suspicion this is because of the + in the name.

staffert on Jan 14, 2010 said:

Just use the full kit for now, I will have to fix that tomorrow at work.

phooky on Jan 14, 2010 said:

That is gorgeous! I love how the planet gears are almost completely exposed.

staffert on Jan 14, 2010 said:

Back at ya!

Nice work on the gear evolution. That must have taken some time.

Top