by Ellindsey, published
The latest in my Doctor Who/Transformers crossover toys!
The main artistic reference for the Dalek mode was the 2005 season episode 'Dalek', and the amazing WETA sculpture of the Dalek with the shell opened up to show off the interior. The transformation geometry is original. I took a little inspiration from the transformer 'Octus', who apparently turns into a Dalek in his alt-mode though that was never shown in the one comic he appeared in. Octus mostly inspired this design to have multiple arms. I also took inspiration from the half-human hybrid Dalek Sec from the episode 'Daleks in Manhatten', in having the Kaled Mutant form the head of the model when in robot mode.
The basic design was done in AutoCAD 2006. I did redraw the mutant in ZBrush to give it a more blended, organic look.
This is a much more challenging toy to print and assemble than either of the Tardis transformers I posted. There are about 100 parts to be printed, several of which have to be glued together. There are two parts that have to be printed with full support added by your slicer software, and five parts which have small pieces of support already added to the STL files that you will have to cut away after printing.
No painting is required, provided you stick to the filament color recommendations.
The original shown here was printed in PLA on my scratch-built Delta style printer. It takes a total of about 10oz of plastic, mostly gold and black with some silver, grey, and purple. Total print time on my machine is about 32 hours. The toy stands about 6 inches tall in Dalek mode, about 13 inches tall in robot mode. All of the parts are individually small so you should be able to print this on any size printer.
Update on 10/13: Changed upperbody_inside left and right to add a small stop to help prevent the dome from rotating forwards when in Dalek mode with the front of the body open.
Recent Commentsview all
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
This is a MUCH more challenging piece to build than my Tardis Transformer. There are about 100 parts that need to be printed. 2 of them require full support to be turned on when you slice them. 5 more have small pieces of support I've added in that you will need to cut away after printing. Many of the parts need to be glued together during assembly, and there is one joint which needs a small piece of 1.75mm filament inserted as a hinge. There is a good chance you will break parts of this while assembling it unless you follow the instructions very carefully.
I have included an assembly document with many photos showing how to build this. It's still a challenging build even with that.
It's also fairly tricky to transform, with many small fiddly bits that are hard to get into exactly the right places. I am working on putting together a transformation guide.