Loading

Hilbert Cube

by tbuser, published

Hilbert Cube by tbuser Jan 21, 2012

Featured Thing!

Description

While looking for new interesting things to print using water soluble PVA support, I decided I want to try to make a Hilbert Cube: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert_cube

After trying and failing to do it in openscad, I worked around it's limitations by writing a ruby script that generates openscad code. This ruby script can create a 1-3 iterations of a hilbert curve in 3d. I borrowed code from a Processing script by Thomas Diewald at openprocessing.org/visuals/?visualID=15599

Unfortunately after doing this, I realized it wasn't really a hilbert cube as the shape is not one continuous curve. :( Still it looks cool and is pretty much impossible to print without dissolvable support. It would be awesome if someone smarter than me would make a proper parametric hilbert cube generator, plz!

I also found a really nice and proper curved hilbert cube by Carlo H. Séquin at cs.berkeley.edu/~sequin/X/Hilbert_Cube/ I resized it and made a support model for it. I don't know what the license is on it, hopefully he won't mind me reposting it here. The problem with this model is that it is curved in a way that makes it a more difficult print.

See also this hilbert cube print from shapeways: youtube.com/watch?v=9cdWpQ2D-O8

Recent Comments

view all

I have a printrbot jr with regular PLA material. Can I print this with just that?

these hilbert cubes are printing beautifully on my stratasys dimension 1200es sst. I have printed all of the cubes. one run at 1.0 scale and one run at 2.0 scale. The printer uses ABSPlus (a proprietary abs melts at 300C) and a soluble support material from a second extruder also at 300C (notice same temp). parts are then snapped off printbed and placed in an ultrasonic NaOH bath for about 2.5 hours. rinse. finish.

end product is great. hilbert cube 2 is very flexible and will pop right back into shape! 4d printing! lol. Just playin. But seriously.

I loaded PVA in one side and PLA in the other. But, no joy so far. The PLA will not stick to the PVA support. So far. Maybe I need a higher temp?

Can't believe it's been 2 years...

More from Math Art

view more

Liked By

view all

License

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

nowipe.rb is a script that takes a merged gcode and removes all wipe movements. The current version of replicatorg's dualstrusion merging adds movements (weather you tell it to wipe or not) that results in z offset problems causing bad quality prints. I've had the best luck with dualstrusion by not doing any wipes at all.

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Makeaholic on Jan 4, 2014 said:

I have a printrbot jr with regular PLA material. Can I print this with just that?

SomeDude on Nov 14, 2013 said:

these hilbert cubes are printing beautifully on my stratasys dimension 1200es sst. I have printed all of the cubes. one run at 1.0 scale and one run at 2.0 scale. The printer uses ABSPlus (a proprietary abs melts at 300C) and a soluble support material from a second extruder also at 300C (notice same temp). parts are then snapped off printbed and placed in an ultrasonic NaOH bath for about 2.5 hours. rinse. finish.

end product is great. hilbert cube 2 is very flexible and will pop right back into shape! 4d printing! lol. Just playin. But seriously.

nick40f1 on Feb 16, 2012 said:

Have you tried any other materials for dualstrusion? I did some research on rubber-like materials (for things like one piece printed hinges or water tight gaskets.) have you looked into thermoplastic-elastomers? I've only seen it sold in pellets. I figured if anyone in the 3d printer community would know it would be the renown Mr. Buser.

cymon on Jan 25, 2012 said:

Can anyone with a dualextruder right now load PVA in one size, PLA in the other, and have this work out of the box? Or did you need to do some modifications to make this work? I'd love a blog post.

Darrellandson on Oct 3, 2013 said:

I loaded PVA in one side and PLA in the other. But, no joy so far. The PLA will not stick to the PVA support. So far. Maybe I need a higher temp?

Can't believe it's been 2 years...

sssidney on Jan 24, 2012 said:

Really cool!!!

How did you create the support model?

TeamTeamUSA on Jan 24, 2012 said:

Another awesome job Tony! 8-) :)

There are three polishers/agitators at the BotLair from Project Shellter. Put your part and water in a ziploc bag and toss into one of them. The agitation should speed up the dissolving time considerably!

Botfarm88 on Jan 24, 2012 said:

can you post a video of this being printed I would love to see your set up in action!! Keep up the cool work !!

on Jan 22, 2012 said:

Instead of going for full dualstrusion with two stls, couldn't you just enable SF's support feature and include the extruder switch in suppoert_start.gcode and support_end.gcode? It would be a) automated and b) use less PVA, since SF generates light support and uses it only where neccesary.

cymon on Jan 23, 2012 said:

That would be, to me, the next logical step for this.

HarlanDMii on Jan 22, 2012 said:

Oh that is too cool!! What do you have the dual extruders on? Is that a mix of PLA and ABS?

tbuser on Jan 22, 2012 said:

I'm using dual mk7 extruders on a ToM. That print is PLA and PVA, the PVA is water soluble.

Top