(moved) dremel milling toolhead for RepMan
by MarcusWolschon, published
THIS DESIGN HAS BEEN MOVED TO YOUMAGINE:
This is an alternative toolhead to allow milling with a RepMan 3d printer.
Feel free to adapt it to other printers like Mendel, Darwin and Makerbot.
It should work fine for milling 3d-objects (Skeinforge) and PCBs (visolate) or for exact drilling (drill holder attachment) and cutting (90ÃÂÃÂ° attachment and cutting-disc).
You need a Dremel Flex Shaft Attachment (Model 225) and a Dremel as well as an M5x95mm(or longer) screw or threaded rod for this.
(I used http://www.bitsfrombytes.com/forum/post/3d-model-toolhead-attachment-design-alternative-heads )
<b>Update:</b> I made a Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOt_yXAkMrs) of my first tests of PCB milling using this toolhead. It performed well given that I fitted a way too large milling-bit and did not tighten/block the springs holding the print-surface.
<b>Update:</b> Experimental Skeinforge settings for milling are documented here: http://www.bitsfrombytes.com/wiki/index.php?title=Milling#milling_in_3D
(Details: http://www.bitsfrombytes.com/wiki/index.php?title=User:MarcusWolschon/Challenges )
Get 10 small mendel parts or 2 larger ones or your design printed for
adapting this RepMan Dremel milling-toolhead to fit the Mendel.
Note that you will probably have to design a new x-carriage-lower_1off or even also a x-carriage-upper_1off due to the poor design of the Mendel x-carriage regarding mounting alternative tools that are wider then 22mm.
5 additional small or 1 large parts if you can do it so extruder and mill can be switched with 4 or less easily accessible screws.
Recent Commentsview all
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
- print it
- remove the collet nut and collet
- insert the Flex Shaft into the toolhead, turn it to move the black threading through the opening at the end.
- re-attach the collet and collet nut, thus fixing the Flex Shaft in place.
- replace part 10056 of your RepMan with this toolhead, leave the extruder attached to the electronics or attach a resistor of 100KOhm(840 to 920) to identify this as a router. (http://rapmanv3.blogspot.com/2009/06/machinefirmware-manual.html)
- attach the long M5 screw to touch the Z endstop at the correct height for the milling tool you inserted into the Flex Shaft.
- Have fun!