Loading

Parametric Flexbox

by bdahlem, published

Parametric Flexbox by bdahlem Feb 8, 2012

Description

This is a parametric version of FdS' flex-box.
You can edit the file using your favorite text editor (notepad, vi, emacs, pico) to change the height, width, and length of the box. Then send the file to your laser cutter and you will have yourself an awesome little box.

edit: v 1.1 some clean-up and bug fixes
v 1.2 hopefully squashed that bug

Recent Comments

view all

You can use a program such as inkscape, adobe illustrator, or coreldraw to convert to svg.

The only limit that I can think of is the pagesize, the pagewidth and pageheight are set near the beginning of the file.

This looks awesome! I love the look of this box so much.

Unfortunately, I can't quite get the code to work! Is there any intrinsic size limitation to the document (pagesize or something)? I tried to make a 24" x 24" x 24" box pattern, and it's cutting it off at the edges. Maximum pagesize limit of some kind?

Tried using gv to view directly, ps2pdf followed by evince to view, evince to view ps file directly, and inkscape. ps2pdf + evince was the closest to working.

Makes

Liked By

view all

License

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions


Download flexbox.ps and open it in your favorite text editor (notepad will work great for this)
Find the section that defines the box parameters:
boxlength
boxwidth
boxheight
Change the size of the box to suit your needs, these are the outside dimensions of the box
Save the file then open it in your graphics program, I've had luck with CorelDraw here
Send the file to your laser cutter
I cut this box out of 1/8" plywood, on a 35 watt laser running at 100% power, 0.5%speed
Assemble your box, revel in the fact that the once stiff plywood bends corners to make an attractive box you would give to your friend or even consider keeping for yourself

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

neltnerb on Dec 23, 2012 said:

This looks awesome! I love the look of this box so much.

Unfortunately, I can't quite get the code to work! Is there any intrinsic size limitation to the document (pagesize or something)? I tried to make a 24" x 24" x 24" box pattern, and it's cutting it off at the edges. Maximum pagesize limit of some kind?

Tried using gv to view directly, ps2pdf followed by evince to view, evince to view ps file directly, and inkscape. ps2pdf + evince was the closest to working.

bdahlem on Dec 23, 2012 said:

The only limit that I can think of is the pagesize, the pagewidth and pageheight are set near the beginning of the file.

Moc on Dec 21, 2012 said:

Where can I change how large each section of the curve is ? Seem the one from the simplebox is a little bit thinner(1millimiter) than your and allow for better bending without splinting the wood.

isawjet on Dec 18, 2012 said:

What software did you use to create the svg?

bdahlem on Dec 23, 2012 said:

You can use a program such as inkscape, adobe illustrator, or coreldraw to convert to svg.

Rivers on Jun 14, 2012 said:

I did the small one and it looks amazing. I just love how it bends.

Juerd on Feb 10, 2012 said:

Apparently we've created parametric flex boxes independently. You've created your thing on thingiverse the very same day that I began developing mine. If I had known about your project, perhaps I would have learned postscript and contributed to yours instead :)

Of course there are many similarities between our projects, but also some differences. Let's take each other's features and integrate them! I like how your script can also create boxes with quarter circle corners and will probably attempt to replicate this idea. One feature that might be useful fo
r you to take is to alternate the drawing direction for the hinge lines . This decreases plotting time by a minute for larger boxes.

Have a look at http://www.thingiverse.com/thi...

FdS on Feb 22, 2012 said:

and at http://boxdesigner.frag-den-sp... you can find the original parametric boxdesigner ;-)

Juerd on Feb 13, 2012 said:

Sorry, I was mistaken: your postscript does already alternate the line directions. I don't remember how I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't...

Top