Roof drain screen
by bowdidge, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This is a roof drain screen to keep large debris out of downspouts.
Our flat roof has several 1.5 inch openings around the edge which let rainwater drain off the roof. If these openings get clogged with leaves or other large debris, we end up with a miniature lake above our heads. None of the commercial drain screens fit or work well, so I designed this to protect our roof.
Note that I haven't tested these drains on the roof yet; check back in a couple weeks to hear if they work. No warranty given that these will actually protect your roof. Caveat downloader.
1) Print out several copies.
2) Clean off extra filaments from the print head travelling between the legs.
3) Paint, either to protect from UV or to ensure no one steps on one of the screens.
4) Get ladder, and place against house.
5) Climb onto roof. (Be careful!)
6) Insert one screen in each drain, with the two legs fitting into the drain to hold it steady. Make sure the screen sits mostly flush on the roof's surface.
7) Climb off the roof. (Be doubly careful!)
8) Drink beer, and enjoy not worrying about whether the drains are clogged.
Update, 2/27/10: One screen has been on the roof during the recent storms, and did well - there's little (small) debris clogging the screen, but it's keeping the seed pods out of the drain. I found the springy arms broke very easily because of the small cross-section and less strength between layers. I ended up removing the legs, drilling a pair of 1/8" holes in the top, and placing a U-shaped piece of #14 gauge wire into the holes to keep the screen centered over the hole and in place. There's now four in place on our roof, with another six needed.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Roof drain screen by bowdidge is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving bowdidge a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure bowdidge would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).