A Better Filament Spool - Reel Holder for Makerbot ToM!
by scootnfast, published
A nice easy modular spool holder that allows you to hold from 1 to 4 spools on top of your Thing-o-Matic! I have tried a few holders out there, and I was never fully happy with any of them so I finally broke down and drew one of my own.
Fully printable on ToM.
My favorite spool holder to date was the YAFSH by mikefrisina here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12974
But I didn't like how high it stood and it was a bit difficult to change reels out. So I took his dove tail design and made it into a hook style holder.
I also made this with a snap lip so it actually locks onto the top. There are also 2 holes that line up with the 2 M4 screws on top your Tom. You can mount the holder permanently with longer M4 screws or drill them out for clearance and leave the holder removeable.
There are 5 parts in all if you want the whole kit and caboodle. A side 1 top and bottom, a side 2 top and bottom, and a key to lock them together.
Included are the .stl files for each and an NX .prt file.
I printed the parts with 3 shells and a .35 infill and seems to be solid and printed great. I tried to make the transitions to the overhangs as gradual as possible with large radii and angles, but I still get some drool in s few areas... Not bad enough to mess things up and nothing a razor blade can't clean up in a hurry.
If you only want a single holder, all you need is top and bottom of 1 or 2.
As the pictures show, I printed all 5 pieces. Put the 2 halves together and then added the key to the back.
I simply coated the backs with a bit of acetone (nail polish remover) and the dripped a few drops into the key slot and then assembled both halves with the key in the middle. The acetone melts the ABS and bonds them together.
If you want 4 holders, simply repeat the process for the other side. You can use a single holder or 2 bonded together, on either side, or both sides. Mount them permanently with longer M4 screws or drill the holes out for clearance and make them removeable.
Each part took about 2.5-3 hrs to print... Well worth it to me as I am now in love with this holder. Good luck and I hope it works for you too!