Loading

Fruit Fly Trap Jar Lid

by AlexEnglish, published

Fruit Fly Trap Jar Lid by AlexEnglish Mar 16, 2012

Description

This is a fruit fly trap lid that screws on to a normal canning / mason jar.

This is based on this canning jar lid: thingiverse.com/thing:19105

The fly trap lid pictured was printed with a low, draft resolution on a Mosaic with ProtoParadigm Red PLA.

This thing is a part of a collection of things featured in this post: protoparadigm.com/blog/2012/08/what-to-do-with-a-3d-printer-make-canning-jar-accessories/

Recent Comments

view all
I made one and it works great! I have captured many fruit flies. I didn't have a canning jar on hand, but I found a clear plastic jar in my cupboard with the same size threads -- can't remember what came in that jar originally. For bait, I found that fruit flies love red wine. I discovered that when I left a glass of red wine on the coffee table for a very short time and came back and found two drunk fruit flies doing the backstroke in my wine. So I use maybe half a teaspoon or so in the jar. If I have a banana or a peach handy I put a chunk of banana or peach skin in also. My fruit flies go out in gourmet fashion! Peaches and red wine sounds like a great way to die to me!
Any chance you could upload a Makerbot-friendly file? When I use ReplicatorG, I feel way over my head configuring the infill and shells. I am new to all of this.

Thank you for your consideration!
Oh, also, I didn't mean to be deceptive, I've updated the text of the thing to be clearer that I haven't had a chance to test this yet because I haven't had any fruit flies, but traps that work by the same means have worked well for me in the past.

More from Kitchen & Dining

view more

Liked By

view all

License

GNU - GPL
Fruit Fly Trap Jar Lid by AlexEnglish is licensed under the GNU - GPL license.

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

Download whichever you need and print it. There is a regular, and a wide-mouth version available.

After printing, put some bait in a canning jar and screw the lid on. This bait can be pieces of fruit, fruit juice, or anything else that will attract fruit flies. As luck would have it, I haven't had any fruit flies around since I finished this (not that I'm complaining), so I haven't had a chance to test it, but I've had good luck with cruder traps of similar design in the past. Apparently a mix of some fruit juice with just a little bit of vinegar in it is a decent bait.

Place the baited trap near where you have fruit flies. They should enter through the hole at the end of the inverted cone, and will be unable to escape.
I made one and it works great! I have captured many fruit flies. I didn't have a canning jar on hand, but I found a clear plastic jar in my cupboard with the same size threads -- can't remember what came in that jar originally. For bait, I found that fruit flies love red wine. I discovered that when I left a glass of red wine on the coffee table for a very short time and came back and found two drunk fruit flies doing the backstroke in my wine. So I use maybe half a teaspoon or so in the jar. If I have a banana or a peach handy I put a chunk of banana or peach skin in also. My fruit flies go out in gourmet fashion! Peaches and red wine sounds like a great way to die to me!
Any chance you could upload a Makerbot-friendly file? When I use ReplicatorG, I feel way over my head configuring the infill and shells. I am new to all of this.

Thank you for your consideration!
You have no fruit flies after you made the trap? IT WORKED!

Seriously, though, what tool did you use to make this? I love the threads on the inside of the lid. It also makes pretty music when printing.
Oh, also, I didn't mean to be deceptive, I've updated the text of the thing to be clearer that I haven't had a chance to test this yet because I haven't had any fruit flies, but traps that work by the same means have worked well for me in the past.
I designed this in openscad. I try to take a somewhat modular approach to design, so this also depends on thingiverse.com/thing:19105 which is the lid with the threads. The threads were designed from caliper measurements, and implemented with this thread library for openscad: thingiverse.com/thing:8793

I'm glad you like it. :)
Nice! I have used vinegar, a drop of syrup and a drop of dishsoap to remove the surface tension seem quite effective. I guess one could smeer some syrup around the middle of cone to get some to stick around incase of an Houdini.
That's a great idea, putting syrup on the under-side of the cone. Thanks for the input regarding the dishsoap too.
Top