Timing Belt X GT2, Printrbot Simple V2
by iamjonlawrence, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This will work for both V2 designs (with & w/o string tension)
In response to multiple requests I have developed this GT2 timing belt conversion for the X axis of the Printrbot Simple. This thing is similar to my original http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:191706
- Use GT2 belt & pulley instead of the MXL
- Use 608 Bearings instead of R2
- Raises print bed 6.5mm
- GT2 tooth form
- Common 608 Bearings
- Bearing Caps have very thin wall due to limited space.
- Decreases available Z height by raising print bed.
For anybody having trouble printing these parts I have uploaded a 2014 version to Shapeways if you would like to order them online. http://shpws.me/rbxE
This is marked as a work in progress. If you have a success (or failure) please let me know. Feedback is greatly appreciated.
- Made plate thinner to allow for some Z calibration error.
- Raised motor height by 2mm to allow more clearance between belt pulley and lower wood plate.
- Re-worked belt ends and lower plate orientation to allow for entire 100mm travel.
- Eliminated need for raising the build plate.
- Removed excess material inside bearing slot to allow 100mm travel.
- Removed material to allow clearance for tie wrap end.
- Updated the right hand belt end file "XBeltEndGT2RevC.stl" to give some clearance for the 2014 fan. This moves the tension mount 15mm further out and gives plenty of room for the fan to clear.
- Updated the motor mount plate to allow some clearance around the 22mm motor pilot dimension. If the motor plate does not sit flush then when you tighten the motor mounting screws you can warp the plate pulling the bearings out of alignment. "MotorMountXGt2-RevD.stl" will help correct this interference.
For discussion of the evolution of this project please refer to http://www.printrbottalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=5697
Special thanks goes out to ahaer for all the R&D work!
Just a "head's up"
In order to replace the X axis motor plate, ALL sides of the machine will have to be removed. This includes sliding the Z rods out of the base plate. You don't have to remove them from the top plate, but they will need to come out of the bottom plate.
The dis-assembly is more scary than difficult. Simply be mentally prepared for a complete dis-assembly of all sides and it won't be too bad.
Your efforts WILL be rewarded, and you will not want to return to the string drive.
One tip on threading the belt: Using a 4 inch length of sticky tape cut to the same width as the belt, stick one side to the top of the pulley, and rotate it around until it comes up on the other side. Then stick the smooth side of the belt to the tape and carry on turning it through, pulling gently on the end of the tape.
Timing Belt X GT2, Printrbot Simple V2 by iamjonlawrence is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving iamjonlawrence a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure iamjonlawrence would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).