Loading
Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!

40mm Head Fan Mount

by Jerry_XYZ, published

40mm Head Fan Mount by Jerry_XYZ Mar 24, 2012

Description

This is a slight modification to allow mounting atop the "supa flat" x-carriage from Aleph Objects. It needed a 60mm bolt spacing.

Recent Comments

view all
just mounted mine minus cone, looking good, now to start printing with it. Thanks!
just printed it as is and it's too low... can you post just the fan mount with the spacebar built in? :) thanks
Actually, I've found the little 40mm fans have no ability to push air through anything.  They're designed for unrestricted air flow.  So, I've found that using the fan mounted  with no cone at all works better than anything I could do with the cone.  I'd suggest printing this, but  removing all of the cone part and just use it as a fan mount.

Makes

Liked By

view all

Tags

License

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

Slic3r will only generate the cone part of this object for extrusion width ratios over a certain value for some reason (2.77 in my case). The cone will clear the x-axis rods under the supa-flat carriage, but could be cut back some to improve air flow (the cone restricts air flow a lot). I removed most of the upper half near the end for better air flow.

The cone also hangs too low for my makergear groovemount setup. It needs a spacer under the bracket to raise it about 3mm. The spacer bar is to lift it up that much. Stacks of 3mm washers could be used too (6 of them make 3mm). This does get in the way of removing the big gear on my Wade's extruder, too.

Print the spacer bar, and the fan mount. Replace the front screws of the supa flat carriage bearing retainer with longer ones. Mount the spacer bar, then the bracket with washers and nuts on the longer screws (3mm x 25mm).

VERIFY before using it that the fan cone is higher than your extruder tip, or it will collide with your prints.

hi.. can you make a modifications for me?

i am using the same x carraige, but with igus bushings.. the output tip of the cone sits too low
Actually, I've found the little 40mm fans have no ability to push air through anything.  They're designed for unrestricted air flow.  So, I've found that using the fan mounted  with no cone at all works better than anything I could do with the cone.  I'd suggest printing this, but  removing all of the cone part and just use it as a fan mount.
just mounted mine minus cone, looking good, now to start printing with it. Thanks!
just printed it as is and it's too low... can you post just the fan mount with the spacebar built in? :) thanks
I have been looking for exactly this kind of thing to put a fan on my Aleph printer. Will be printing and trying it out and let you know how it works out. Thanks for this!
So I got the whole cone to print by using the extrusion width factor 0f 2.77 (and up). My actual is 2.66. 0.3mm layer, 0.5mm nozzle, 3mm filament.

Anyway, the nozzle sits too low for my makergear groovemount hot end. It has to be shimmed up 3mm to clear, or a stack of 6 normal 3mm washers under each bolt location. I'm making a 6mm thick spacer bar to print and put under it instead of a stack of washers. Oh, and the screws have to be longer
yet.

Finally, the nozzle seems to really restrict air flow from the fan. I cut away most of the upper half of the nozzle to improve air flow. My goal is to get air on the area right where the filament extrudes, without cooling the whole piece causing it to curl up from the heated bed plate.
Here are the gcode results for two different settings by slic3r, playing with the extrusion width ratio under the Advanced settings tab. (the gcode visualization is from Repetier-Host v0.4)

Anyway, YMMV!
The original stl was apparently made using Solidworks, and its .stl export is notorious for having issues. I ran it through Netfabb with every repair function it had. The .stl looks fine, gives no errors. But, slic3r does different things with it depending on its settings. It seems related to how thin the walls are on the conical portion of this. It will miss generating layers of the cone depending on slic3r's settings.

If someone has luck with this in sfact it would be interesting to know.
Top