Old School Space Rocket... 2.0
by syvwlch, published
1. Made the spines that run the length of the hull twice as thick, for structural support and for aesthetics.
2. Re-made the ribs that define the cross-section of the hull from scratch with circular voids and fine-tuned dimensions for aesthetics and better fit.
3. Hollowed out the legs for aesthetics.
4. Re-made the feet using the same spine & rib method as the hull, for consistency, for the challenge, for aesthetics, and for the win!
5. Re-arranged the pieces on the cutting pattern so that you could cut from two rectangles instead of a single square.
Recent Commentsview all
I had the same idea for my son's room.. and I just noticed your comment, so I was wondering what wood you used and how the rocket is holding up.. any tips? And don't you want to share the bigger model as a 'remix'?
Looks great at any rate :)
I made a bookshelf from this model. You can see it on my blog www.machinegilde.blogspot.nl
Thanks for sharing! Mark.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
Assembly should be straightforward with the help of a hot glue gun. Cyanoacrylate probably could use some roughing up of the contact surfaces, say with sand-paper.
If a rib has three slots, it belongs in the upper part of the hull.
If it has four slots, it belongs in the feet. These ribs should be attached to the leg, then the foot closed with the short length of spine, and lastly the curved spines should attach on the sides. Sounds complicated but with the parts in hand it should be obvious. I'll include an exploded view in the images as well.
If it has six slots, it belongs in the lower part of the hull where the legs attach.
Good luck and don't hesitate to comment if you are having issues with this design.
You must be logged in to post a comment.