Loading

Dualstrusion Ball in Cube

by etrohn, published

Dualstrusion Ball in Cube by etrohn May 4, 2012

Featured Thing!

Description

I saw the marble in a cube designs and I decided to make my own dualstrusion ball in a cube. I designed it in Autodesk Inventor so the ball would move free within the cube.

Recent Comments

view all
That makes sense. I have a single extruder and look forward to trying it out. Thanks for posting it.
The reason for the separate files is so you can print the cube as one color and the ball as a second color. This only works if you have a printer with two extruders. If you combined the two into one file you could only print with one color.
Did you combine the stl's so they could print at the same time? Is there an advantage to having them as separate files?

Looks really cool.

More from 3D Printing Tests

view more

Liked By

view all

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

I printed mine with a MakerBot Replicator. The ball has a flat on the bottom to keep it stuck to the build surface. The ball was printed with 10% infill. The cube with 30% infill.

I have started to print this with skirt turned on and set to be as tall as the cube. This catches the longer bits of ooze but some small bits of color still appear where they shouldn't.

The reason for the separate files is so you can print the cube as one color and the ball as a second color. This only works if you have a printer with two extruders. If you combined the two into one file you could only print with one color.
That makes sense. I have a single extruder and look forward to trying it out. Thanks for posting it.
Did you combine the stl's so they could print at the same time? Is there an advantage to having them as separate files?

Looks really cool.
I think if you change the retraction distance then it wont ooze out as bad on the ball as you showed in the pictures. Another thing you could try is changing the time it takes to change tool heads. I know on my 2x it pauses for a few seconds then switches extruders. I don't know if either of these will work but its worth a try.
I want to make the ball look like the Death Star
The ball looks good, posted it. Waiting for the cube to build. I slowed down feeds and turned up heat on table and extruder. Fun!
I have not been able to print this on my Replicator. Both attempts failed. The first had a collapse of one of the cube posts. The second time the ball did not stick to the platform. In both cases the ball has gaps and in generally looks fairly rough. I printed with the infills you listed. Any suggestions? *DONT_KNOW*
I had the same problem when I was trying to do a 25mm version of the same cube. When I scaled it by 1.5 my problems went away. I figured by increasing the mass in the vertical sections of the cube, it retained heat a little better. My replicator is now enclosed so it retains heat pretty well.

As far as the gaps in the ball. Mine didn't turn out perfect on all sides, but it does look a little better than yours. If you generated your own gcode, try adding 2 shells. I'm pretty sure that would improve your results.

The ball came off the platform for me also. A fresh wipe with acetone
helped my odds of it staying put.
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm ready to give this one another try.
Looks good, a two color version of thingiverse.com/thing:5181
Block with Ball
Top