E3D i3ext dual hybrid extruder
by jkoljo, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
- This design is a derivative of my previous i3ext release, originally made by sgraber. It uses the same E3D compatible mounting rail, and adds an option to use a bowden fed second extruder.
- The innovative part of this extuder is that it feeds the first extruder via a gear system, and the second with bowden. That allows very accurate prints using the first nozzle, and semiaccurate prints using the second nozzle, making it perfect for printing support material, and even a second color with a well tuned bowden system. It is a great tradeoff between carriage weight and accuracy.
- The bowden part of the system is compatible with 1/8" standard pneufit, and 4 mm OD bowden tube. The hot ends will be 25 mm apart, a minimum distance for E3D hot end. There are two fan shrouds available, a thin version is needed if your X carriage comes in the way.
- I have been testing the system for a few months now, and it works great! Here is a print made with the bowden fed extruder. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef02mAOPs5s
- The v3 extruder has reinforced back body, cleaner fan mount holes and a place for a short PTFE tube for direct extrusion side, making it much better for super flexible filaments!
- The bowden extruder I am using:
- Original i3ext by sgraber:
- Assemble direct drive section using the instructions in my previous i3ext mod (see sources)
- Cut some bowden tube, and insert into the 4 mm hole under pneufit
- Install pneufit
- Install hot ends and fan shroud
- To calibrate the nozzle heights, place pieces of paper behind the upper or lower linear bearings in the carriage
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
E3D i3ext dual hybrid extruder by jkoljo is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving jkoljo a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure jkoljo would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).