Which 3D software should I learn for 3D printing?
by gillespinault, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
[update] Added: FreeCad and Autodesk Fusion 360.
At our MakerSpace, I am often asked for advice about what should someone use in order to create 3D objects for 3D printing.
There is not just one single answer because it depends on a few parameters so I made a little decision chart:
Please share your choices and advices in the comments.
The 3D files are there as exemples:
- The octopus is a Typical exemple of what you would use an the softwares on the left side for (organic shapes).here it was with Blender.
- The "central part" is a typical exemple of what you would use the softwares on the right for (precise dimensions). Here it was with Cubify Design
It is certainly not exhaustive or objective but it is based on quite a lot of reading, interviews and experiences.
This is a troll-friendly subject so please stay constructive in your suggestions to improve this decision tree.
Which 3D software should I learn for 3D printing? by gillespinault is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving gillespinault a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure gillespinault would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).