Loading

Durga Puppet

by anneyfresh, published

Durga Puppet by anneyfresh Jun 3, 2012

Featured Thing!

Description

This puppet was made with my husband Keith Ozar thingiverse.com/OZAR at the Metropolitan Museum of Art MakerBot Hackathon. We felt so bad for the "Standing Female Deity, possibly Durga" without her arms- now she is definitely Durga!
Keith captured the head with 123D catch and
I modeled the body and arms in Blender from turnaround photos I took in the gallery. We printed the body on our Thing-O-Matic at home after the first day and printed the head and arms on a Replicator at the event on day 2. It was a whirlwind and I wish the parts fit together a little better, but as my second MakerBot project ever- I think we did a good job. We wanted to share what we accomplished at this awesome event and will continue to refine this! This design is inspired by the old fashioned "Jumping Jack" toy.

Recent Comments

view all

Brilliant!!

More from People

view more

Liked By

view all

License

Durga Puppet by anneyfresh is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

The arms are drilled with two holes each. I used a 1/16" drill bit for the hole with the string and a 3/32" hole for the machine screw. Make sure you have some play in that hole so the arms moves freely. Print the back piece and the arms with 25% infill so they stand up to drilling. I used some cap headed machine screws-1/4" in length. An improvement would to add some pilot holes into the design to cut out some wonkiness.

Each set of arms are ganged together with a piece of 12lb line so you can operate each pair separately. You could tie each pair to the lower pair so you only have one string coming out the bottom. Tie the string on the arms before you screw them to the back. I used some glue on my knots so they don't come undone. Pre-drill a hole for your machine screws and make it pretty small so you can self tap into the plastic. Don't overtighten the screw- leave a little play. Once you put the arms onto the back- then tie your arm pairs together.

Super glue the printed parts together from the bottom up. I'm loving the krazy glue with the brush. Remember to thread your lines through the lower half as you work and add a keyring at the end. The sarong and hat were made of thin spandex and attached with toupee tape (clear double sided tape)- no sewing.

Think about what objects she could be holding...

Puppet Show!!!

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

aubenc on Jun 4, 2012 said:

Brilliant!!

Top