by juniortan, published
Prototyping an adjustable nut-cam combo for rock climbing protection. Nuts are great, but not adjustable. Cams are fast to use, but costly due to design and manufacturing complexities. Hopefully this design can help bridge the gap, melding a nut-like approach with cam-like adaptability.
- Broken up some parts for easier printing
- Glue in the slots. I had to sandpaper everything to fit properly
- Use M3 nuts to secure
- Design is incomplete for two things: nylon strappy 'finger-rings' for adjusting the side cams, and of course the steel cable.
- You might need to scale this up slightly to print properly in a cupcake.
- DO NOT CLIMB ON THESE :-) I am just using plastic for prototyping the design angles and usability from the 'grab from rack and shove into crack' standpoint. Once qualified, the test mules will probably be made from steel for a start.
- Steel cable for nut: 2.5mm dia. (which should yield about 10KN)
- Metal sleeve for crimping steel cable
- Steel pins: 2mm dia, 11mm length for 2 joints
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
NutCam by juniortan is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving juniortan a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure juniortan would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).