Frameless Photo Stand (Parametric)
by CodeCreations, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
UPDATE 6/19: v2.0 Now supports nearly thirty common coins for added weight!
This is a simple parametric frameless photo stand that uses (with its default values) only about 50-60mm of filament (about a penny or two) and holds up a photo for display without the use of a frame. It can be weighted with a coin by specifying one of nearly 30 built-in common coin types for USA, Canada, Australia, and Europe (e.g. US_25C for a quarter, and EU_50C for a euro 50c). If the coin you want to use isn't in the list, you can just specify its diameter and thickness instead.
It's very quick and easy to print, and makes a fantastic and useful sample print for demos. There are 15 parameters to define the shape and size.
In the photos, it's holding up a standard-sized 5x7 photo (127x178mm). You can easily change the parameters to make it wider, longer, thicker, a different angle, different tab distance, tab size, coin weight, etc.
1) Print. (The STLs are for the coinless version, and one that accepts a US quarter for added weight.)
2) Insert photo. You can put the middle tab in front (as pictured) or in back. In front it's less visible, but in back adds a nice curve to the photo and might allow it to stand up better with the default settings. I actually prefer it in back for landscape-oriented photos, and in the front for portrait-oriented photos.
3) Admire photo.
You can just print the STL for a normal size photo. If you want full control over the design, change the parameters in the opensSCAD and re-render. The following parameters are available:
- baseThickness: The thickness of the base
- baseWidth: The width of the base
- baseLength: The length of the base
- baseSupportWidth: The minimal width of the support structure
- coinSize: The coin to use, or [diameter,thickness]
- coinClipPadding: The extra space built into to the coin clip
- coinClipThickness: The thickness of the coin slot
- coinSupportWidth: The width of the coin support surface
- coinStopHeight: The width of the coin support surface
- coinStopOverhang: The width of the coin support surface
- tabThickness: The thickness of each vertical "tab"
- tabHeight: The height of the vertical tabs.
- tabRadius: The radius of the top corners of the tabs.
- tabSeparation: How far apart the tabs are
- tabAngle: The angle of the tabs (90 is vertical)
- $fn: Quality of circles
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Frameless Photo Stand (Parametric) by CodeCreations is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving CodeCreations a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure CodeCreations would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).