Printable Modular Machine Components
by pandelume, published
This is an experimental set of printable machine parts, the idea being that you can configure these into whatever 3-or-fewer-axis machine you want. The basic parts are:
1) Linear rail and ball carriage.
2) Rack and pinion
3) Structural blocks with 2 (angle), 3, 4, and 5 mating faces.
Hole patterns for all parts are NEMA 17 - 31mm square, and holes are sized for M4 fasteners.
With the right tool holders it should be possible to make a small milling machine, drilling machine, maybe a pick-and-place machine, who knows? I invite people to please post suggestions or modifications.
1) I haven't printed any of these yet, but I have skeinforged them, so I think they'll print ok.
2) I haven't arranged multiple parts into one file so they can be printed together, but it would be smart to do this. I'll post assembled files when I get a chance.
3) I don't know how accurate the resulting machine will be, so please keep in mind that this is still something of a work in progress. I hope to add and anti-backlash split gear as a start, but I'd love to hear other suggestions.
1) Determine the machine configuration you want
2) Print the various parts required
3) Drill and tap the pinion setscrew location and the end cap fastening holes in the rail car body - I was thinking M3 fasteners.
4) Assemble the rail cars with 5mm ball bearings - be sure to lubricate them
5) Assemble the remaining parts, making sure to key the rack and rails together.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Printable Modular Machine Components by pandelume is licensed under the GNU - GPL license.
What does this mean?
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
We're sure pandelume would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).