by cpendlebury, published
This is a improvised pipette for DIY biology using a drinking straw. Use this to pipette small volumes until you get a real micropipette!
See it in action here: http://youtu.be/Q6cFps88G9M
- Print StrawPipette.stl
- If necessary, clean up hole so straw slides in easily. The straw should stay in snugly, but shouldn't crush the straw.
- If required, sterilise some drinking straws.
- Insert straw and use pipette:
i. Insert into liquid, cover top of straw with thumb.
ii. hold thumb on straw while transferring liquid.
iii. release thumb to dispense liquid.
- Change straw when you would change a micropipette tip.
It operates in the range 200Î¼L to 1000Î¼L, and with practice you should be able to reliably dispense liquid in 100Î¼L increments.
Volume dispensed = Ï€ radius of straw^2 depth into liquid
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
StrawPipette by cpendlebury is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
We're sure cpendlebury would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).