Loading

Scarab Box

by whowhatwhere, published

Scarab Box by whowhatwhere May 1, 2010

Featured Thing!

Description

This is a concept work, for a small box with a lid that opens like a beetles wings.

The two side of the lid are geared together so they move in unison.

This basic concept could be scaled to be jewelery box or a broach.

This design would work as mint box or similar, but it is really just a proof of concept for me.

Recent Comments

view all

Could you upload the design files? I'd like to make a derivative. :)

Thats awesome, my mom just picked up one of those watches down in Quartzite, AZ this winter!

Alternatively, you could have a small flat rod with teeth on each side that fits between the two gears, so when you push it in towards the box, the wings will open.

Once I get my makerbot properly calibrated, I think I'm going to try and print this.

When I was a kid, my mom had a piece of jewelry like this, except that the wings opened to reveal a small watch. The scarab watch had small antennas or pincers that were attached to the wings; the wings opened when the pincers were pushed together.

Liked By

view all
Adam and I

License

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

This design is untested

3 STLs print 1 of each assemble the parts (a small drop of glue may help hold the top in place)

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

MakerBlock on Jan 2, 2011 said:

Could you upload the design files? I'd like to make a derivative. :)

Anonymous on May 3, 2010 said:

When I was a kid, my mom had a piece of jewelry like this, except that the wings opened to reveal a small watch. The scarab watch had small antennas or pincers that were attached to the wings; the wings opened when the pincers were pushed together.

Anonymous on May 8, 2010 said:

Thats awesome, my mom just picked up one of those watches down in Quartzite, AZ this winter!

Alternatively, you could have a small flat rod with teeth on each side that fits between the two gears, so when you push it in towards the box, the wings will open.

Once I get my makerbot properly calibrated, I think I'm going to try and print this.

Top