by VeryWetPaint, published
A quadrisection of a sphere into four identical parts with some novel attributes:
- The parts have no overhangs.
- The flat \'bottom\' is completely concealed after assembly; there are no flat spots on the exterior of the sphere.
- Exterior is made entirely of \'sidewalls\' where the resolution of FDM really shines.
My test samples were built in transparent PVC on a Solido SD300 Pro, but my goal was to design a Makerbot-friendly shape. Based on feedback from friends, I\'ve adjusted the contours so the pieces \'grab\' onto each other after assembly.
More pictures and discussion at my SD300 blog entry at http://mysd300.blogspot.com/2010/05/novel-decompositions-of-sphere.html
After you build four of these they should fit together to form a ball.
Note: the parts fit together with their build planes at right angles, so it\'ll doubtless be affected by any geometric distortions.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Hemi-demi-sphere by VeryWetPaint is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
We're sure VeryWetPaint would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).