V8 model: Replicator edition
by sirmakesalot, published
That thing got a hemi?
chug, chug, chug, VROOOM, chug, chug, chug, Squeeeeealll!!!
A larger version of my v8 motor, designed with the Replicator in mind.
The body is 225mm long so it should just fit the HBP of a Replicator. The pistons are 43mm (BIG, that's like a 50cc chainsaw motor!) and they connect with printed cylinders instead of filament. I also made all the moving parts with much tighter tolerances (.25+/-mm) so it requires a fairly fine tuned machine. I have also included smaller pistons in case they need to be smaller. I tried to keep the plastic needed to a minimum by designing it with thinner walls, radius edges and relief details but still be well detailed and robust. This also will help keep the print time to a minimum.
All files should slice cleanly, I had some problems and learned how to fix them. No more naked edges or intersecting meshes. Just nice clean STLs; though they do take a while to slice.
I think printing it with an extra shell or two with 20% infill for the body and pistons would be fine but the crank and connectors should be printed with a higher infill, 60-100% so you can manipulate the parts if needed.
Print the pistons and connectors first. then put them together.
Print the crank and spacers next then assemble crank spacers and pistons as seen in the images DON"T put the end axles in yet!!
Print the body then assemble the piston/crank assembly into the body sections and carefully glue the two body sections together.
Now insert the axles carefully into the ends of the crank. The motor should work at this point.
Print the reinforcement fins and glue them into the valley of the body sections as seen in the images.
Then print and install the crank handle.
My individual print times were as follows:
Body sections printed two at once and took 31 hours.
Connectors took 5 hours
Spacers were 4 hours 15 minutes.
Pistons took 16 hours (I printed the 42.5mm)
Crank 6 hours.
Crank handle 1 hour 30 minutes
Reinforcements 3 hours
Total print time: 66 hours 45 minutes.
It turned out amazing! Here is a couple of videos, http://youtu.be/wASI4fyEOT4 this one shows it before some extras and this one shows it after, http://youtu.be/Pf1OogRw3oQ