Stronger E-idler for printrbot
by swordfishBob, published
Like a few other people, I cracked the end off my idler during some aggressive construction. The original design carries a fair bit of force through a narrow section with tension between layers - the weakest dimension in a 3D print. So, here's a design that's a bit stronger where it pivots.
Drill out the hole for the pivot bolt in the main extruder piece. Make sure the bolt moves freely within it. If things don't seem well aligned when you continue assembly, perhaps loosen this hole a bit further.
Clean out the slotted holes where the tension screws go, to ensure free movement there too.
- Insert the idler bearing with its pin.
Bolt front-to-back with lock nuts
- Clean out the idler's pivot holes so bolt moves freely.
- Expand the counter-sink hole in E-idler sufficiently for the head of the pivot bolt; this will keep the head out of the way of the big extruder gear.
- Attach idler to main extruder body, with bolt. Add 2x lock nuts; tighten these against each other, but not against the plastic.
- Optional - clean recessed hole and insert a hex nut.
- Attach idler to main extruder body, with bolt head at rear of extruder.
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Stronger E-idler for printrbot by swordfishBob is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving swordfishBob a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure swordfishBob would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).