X-Axis Idler Support Bracket for Thing-O-Matic
by jetty, published
Accessing the idler pulley on the X-Axis for oiling requires a lot of stuff to removed to gain access.
You have to remove the Y rods, X rods and the platform, then unscrew the idler pulley bolt to remove the top plate to gain access. This is a pretty good incentive to put up with awesome squeaking.
With this thing, disassemble once more, then never again. You just unscrew the 2 bolts on top and oil away !
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
- Print (I printed at 100% fill for strength)
- Remove Y rods and remove whole platform / X / Y unit
- Unbolt large side plate (labelled "Right")
- Unbolt top endstop plate (labelled "Right")
- Unbolt idler pulley
- Remove top plate that contains the X end stop
- Remove side plate
- Unscrew X Endstop, discard spacers
- Reassemble X Endstop on to new plate
- Reassemble the idler pulley, the bolt needs to be positioned lower than previously to fit in the plate, use the bolt support on the bottom (screw it on the thread), and then position the 2 nuts so they push against the top (see photo). You may have to "start" the hole with a reamer or some other tool.
- Bolt on side plate.
- Bolt on new top plate, making sure the bolt head is fully retained inside the hole
When it comes to oiling, just unscrew the 2 bolts on top, remove the plate, oil and put back.