Loading

makerbot replicator - wiper and bucket

by alexrich82, published

makerbot replicator - wiper and bucket by alexrich82 Aug 16, 2012

Description

wiper and bucket for makerbot replicator - fits in cutout on back panel of replicator that was intended for this purpose. can be used with skeinforge wipe function to remove oozing filament between layers (especially on dual prints)

Recent Comments

view all
this would have been cool
No progress on this. I tried sailfish firmware and couldn't get it to work with my machine, ended up putting standard firmware back on. The firmware install process for my replicator 1 is so stupid it makes me dumber every time I do it. have not played around with limiting z axis speed or anything, let me know if you can get the wipe function working. Would be good to fix ooze issues with dual extrusion. Makerbot appears to have abandoned this feature as it is not even an option on the Replicator 2.
Hmm, I was considering using Wipe for another purpose, but that's a bummer if it doesn't work with the Replicator 1.

Have you set a limit to your Z-axis speed?

If I remember correctly, the sailfish-firmware installation instructions advised a limit of 16mm/s. (unfortunately, it appears that the MBi-hosted sailfish installation guide is unavailable at the moment, and my machine is busy)

More from 3D Printer Accessories

view more

Makes

Liked By

view all
CIMG1165.JPG

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

Print the arm, the bucket and the flames. I suggest using the orientation I have set in the STL files. Cut out a pieze of silicone rubber or other material to use as the actual wiper.

Sandwich silicone rubber wiper between bucket and wiper arm, then assemble using #4-40 x 5/8"L machine screws and #4-40 nuts. Flames fit into groove on either side of bucket, held in place by any glue (I used CA glue).

Find perforated rectangular cutout on left side of replicator back panel and pop it out, install the wiper the same way the filament spools are mounted. Tweak the height of your silicone wiper sheet if necessary so that it just flicks the nozzles when they pass over it.

Skeinforge wipe settings for my machine were as follows (X,Y,Z): Arrival (-130,40,0) Departure (-130,40,0) Wipe (-130,80,0)

this would have been cool
No progress on this. I tried sailfish firmware and couldn't get it to work with my machine, ended up putting standard firmware back on. The firmware install process for my replicator 1 is so stupid it makes me dumber every time I do it. have not played around with limiting z axis speed or anything, let me know if you can get the wipe function working. Would be good to fix ooze issues with dual extrusion. Makerbot appears to have abandoned this feature as it is not even an option on the Replicator 2.
Have you tired using your wiper setup with the Sailfish firmware?  Sailfish fixes a lot of things that MBI hasn't gotten right.  
No actually, had never even heard of Sailfish.  I just looked it up though, I will have to install it and play with it to see if I can make the wipe function work.  Will let you know
update:

skeinforge wipe appears to throw off the z location of my replicator even on single extruder prints. this causes printing on air after 5-6 layers. for now the wipe feature is not working on the replicator but hopefully the software bugs will be fixed. wiping would be really useful before tool change on dual extrude prints.
Hmm, I was considering using Wipe for another purpose, but that's a bummer if it doesn't work with the Replicator 1.

Have you set a limit to your Z-axis speed?

If I remember correctly, the sailfish-firmware installation instructions advised a limit of 16mm/s. (unfortunately, it appears that the MBi-hosted sailfish installation guide is unavailable at the moment, and my machine is busy)
FYI - I have a support ticket with makerbot regarding the way their dual extrude gcode combiner handles the skeinforge 'wipe' function. right now there are a couple issues i have seen. 1) during the tool change the extruder wipes the ooze from inactive extruder on the part before going over to the wipe location (making the wipe feature not very useful). 2) also I have found the wipe function throws the z-step off on the machine sometimes for some unknown reason.

will post in the comments if any of this gets resolved.
Top