Drawbot Quick Change Pen Holder
by UechiMike, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This is a 3-d printable version of a quick change pen gondola for the DrawBot. It's capable of holding a fine point sharpie or slightly larger pen (like an expo dry erase - fine-point).
For a counter weight is uses 2 dead AA batteries (or what ever else you want to mount on it).
The servo arms are positioned to hold a Turnigy TG9e 9g servo. As of right now I don't have one of these to test pen up/down functionality but it should work with an appropriately positioned servo arm. For now I've added a couple washers to my servo arms where the weight contributed by the servo should be.
I'll be posting up another one capable of holding a Sharpie Magnum (the really big sharpie).
A "complete" gondola plate is provided. This contains the gondola frame and all arms in one print. If you need a replacement part the individual pieces are in the sharpie_pen_holder_parts.zip file. You'll also need some type of fixed weight and that might depend a little bit on your pen and servo (if mounted). For mine I used 2 dead AA batteries and the "battery_weight".
1) Print the entire gondola. Mine is printed with 1 extra shell and 25% infill and plenty sturdy.
- the gondola consists of the following parts: frame, arm, spring_arm, holder_arm and arm2
2) Assemble the gondola (referring to the labeled picture):
- face the frame with the servo arms facing away from you insert 2 M3x30mm screws from the servo arm side
- place the "arm" with the spacer side towards the frame
- place the "spring_arm" with the spacer side towards the frame
- place the "holder_arm" with the lever on the same side as the spring arm
- place the "arm2" with the larger spacer opposite the side the "holder_arm" is mounted
- affix 2 M3 nuts to the ends of the screws
3) Attach "spring" - I used a smaller elastic band - which can be purchased in a drug store in bags of 100. Elastics from dental braces may work as well (untested).
4) Attach counterweight - I used an M3x10mm screw and nut to hold the battery weight on. The weight should be "fixed" to the gondola - using something tethered by a wire/string causes wobble when the pen changes direction.
5) Affix gondola to drawbot. You can utilize the two holes in the spring arm. Depending on your pen and the weight of the servo you balance point may differ. I ran the loops through the holes and hooked them ver the screw ends so I could detach it easily. You may have to adjust the weights - although I found 2 AA batteries are sufficient mass to keep the gondola's center of mass so the pen remains perpendicular to the paper even on a completely vertical surface.
6) Mount a pen and have fun. Pinch the levers on the holder_arm and spring_arm to open up the grip and slide your pen in.
Drawbot Quick Change Pen Holder by UechiMike is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving UechiMike a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure UechiMike would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).