Loading
Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!

Replicator Fan Deck - Easy Fan Replacement

by LeftAngle, published

Replicator Fan Deck - Easy Fan Replacement by LeftAngle Aug 22, 2012

Description

Replacing the fans on a Replicator can be a real pain. I've published a simple replacement for the OEM spacers, which I've heard had been spawned by something evil:(http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:29030)

This is the next step. A part of something I'm working on and will make pulling the extruders apart for maintenance a joy... Well, I might be exaggerating a bit :-/

Recent Comments

view all

Thanks for your comment. I haven't figured out how to make the holes the size I drew them up yet. I know there's a way to do it. I've drilled mine out too.

i LIKE your thinking about separating the 2 sides. I've updated the area around my fans once again, but haven't posted anything specific about it yet. You can see what it looks like here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/ima...

I've made 2 changes to the deck. I've routed the fan wires from b
etween the extruder motors to another route (underneath and through the wire chain). It's too difficult to thread the hold-down bolts past the wires without damaging them.

I've also covered the space between the fans and the heat sinks. Too much air was escaping before it even reached the sink's
fins. I can feel the difference by holding my hand at the side of the sinks. Much more efficient. The print was done in 3 sections to keep from having to waste time
&
amp; material on rafting.

I'm going to re-design mine using your idea. If I publish it, I'll site you.

Thanks.

btw: With the exception of the motors, I've gotten rid of the other individual stand-offs as well. I won't be around long enough to waste time fiddling and chasing those stupid things down. ;)

During installation I found it easier if I:

1. drilled the holes pretty loose (wobble my 1/8" bit around)
2. drilled the fans' screw holes open too
3. split the printed part into two (snapped by hand, then trimmed with scissors)

This way I can do one side at a time. Still much better than standoffs, thanks!

My first version stuck out about half an inch further. I was planning on adding leds underneath to light up the build.

With the tiny extruded lines, it looked like a miniature wooden deck. I thought about adding a railing an some deck chairs.

Seriously, you'll need to be careful what hangs off the front of the extruders. There's little room on that side, and if you have doors, it may go crashing into them. For
whatever reason, MakerBot didn't ad a stop to the front, so that's an issue as well.

Also, I don't know what adding mass would do to the motor and bearings, not to mention the accuracy of the build. The DTI adds some weight. I wouldn't want to add any more.

Stuff to ponder...

More from 3D Printing

view more

Makes

Liked By

view all

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

This makes a "deck" on which your fans sit. All the spacers are mounted exactly where they should be, so all you have to do is:

1. Set the heat sinks
2. Set the fan deck
3. Set the fans
4. Bolt it all together.

I tell ya, being lazy has its benefits.

btw, I dislike rafts and supports, so you won't need them.

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

AdanA on Sep 14, 2012 said:

During installation I found it easier if I:

1. drilled the holes pretty loose (wobble my 1/8" bit around)
2. drilled the fans' screw holes open too
3. split the printed part into two (snapped by hand, then trimmed with scissors)

This way I can do one side at a time. Still much better than standoffs, thanks!

LeftAngle on Sep 15, 2012 said:

Thanks for your comment. I haven't figured out how to make the holes the size I drew them up yet. I know there's a way to do it. I've drilled mine out too.

i LIKE your thinking about separating the 2 sides. I've updated the area around my fans once again, but haven't posted anything specific about it yet. You can see what it looks like here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/ima...

I've made 2 changes to the deck. I've routed the fan wires from b
etween the extruder motors to another route (underneath and through the wire chain). It's too difficult to thread the hold-down bolts past the wires without damaging them.

I've also covered the space between the fans and the heat sinks. Too much air was escaping before it even reached the sink's
fins. I can feel the difference by holding my hand at the side of the sinks. Much more efficient. The print was done in 3 sections to keep from having to waste time
&
amp; material on rafting.

I'm going to re-design mine using your idea. If I publish it, I'll site you.

Thanks.

btw: With the exception of the motors, I've gotten rid of the other individual stand-offs as well. I won't be around long enough to waste time fiddling and chasing those stupid things down. ;)

tbuser on Aug 23, 2012 said:

Hmm, if you were to extend the flat part out, it would make a great place to mount a cooling fan for PLA...

LeftAngle on Aug 23, 2012 said:

My first version stuck out about half an inch further. I was planning on adding leds underneath to light up the build.

With the tiny extruded lines, it looked like a miniature wooden deck. I thought about adding a railing an some deck chairs.

Seriously, you'll need to be careful what hangs off the front of the extruders. There's little room on that side, and if you have doors, it may go crashing into them. For
whatever reason, MakerBot didn't ad a stop to the front, so that's an issue as well.

Also, I don't know what adding mass would do to the motor and bearings, not to mention the accuracy of the build. The DTI adds some weight. I wouldn't want to add any more.

Stuff to ponder...

Top