Entirely Printable PCB Holder/ Helping Hands
by whowhatwhere, published
The all site around a tidied up version of the lockable joint I posted previously ( thingiverse.com/thing:2872 )
NOTE: sorry for the poor rendering I'm still getting used to using sketchup. It doesn't show but the arms should be fully pose-able.
I have improved the link itself, created a quick "Clamp" form of the link for holding PCBs, and created a base where 4 "arms" can be attached.
NOTE: Thanks go to Pandelume for the suggestion to replace the traditional 6 sided nut with a fluted thumb screw!
The base may seem rather small but if two arms are being used to hold the PCB then the other two can be extended and locked into position as legs to give the more stability.
The based is very simple at the moment as I didn't want to complicate an already experimental design unnecessarily
This is an experimental design (I have tried to make the thread large but dont know how well it will print), however If the design works (assuming I will have to make some mods) then I would like to design a range of different "Heads" other than the PCB clamp provided as part of this design.
I've included the SKP file for anyone interested - As a point of interest I had trouble with sketchup when calculating interceptions between models, and found that the software is much less likely to leave hidden holes in my designs if I work with the model at 10 to 100 times normal scale and then shrink it down for generating the STLs.
I posted a lockable ball and socket link yesterday as part of my design work leading up to this.
Recent Commentsview all
I've found (as a general rule) that parts with outlines that make large closed curves work very well. If the curve is too small or has intermittent areas quality suffers. But perhaps this just means that my oozebane isn't sufficiently well calibrated.
Result! (not the one I was hoping for, but still...
Thanks for the report, I can only plead inexperience in build/design issues, I knew the resolution and stability might be problems but I didn't know about the Z axis wobble or the "droop".
My bot kit turned up yesterday so I've started building it's going to be a while while I get it up and runn
ing and learn how to use it before I can come back to these designs and try to correct/improve them.
However I do plan to get back to this design at some point and make it work :)
I tried to build this, but it didn't seem to work. Both the rod and nut are hopelessly non-manifold to the point that I couldn't fix it in meshlab, although I don't claim to be an expert. It appears to have flipped faces and a few internal faces.
The nut built as a shell, and the inner surface isn't substantial enough to hold any threads. Not sure why, but I'd guess either the walls are not thick enough for it to be solid, or the non-manifoldness made it not draw correctly.
The rod seemed to mostly draw correctly, despite the non-manifol
d problems, but it appears to be drawing some internal faces, which reduces the accuracy of the build. Overall it does seem to have threads, but I don't think they align correctly. I think my machine's accuracy isn't good enough. Contributing factors would be Z axis wobble, the thinness of the to
wers (they droop slightly as they are built), and oozebane not being calibrated well enough.
Also, I was only able to build a portion of the rod before the pressures at the base caused the raft to partially detach. I aborted the build when I noticed that the part was wiggling as the platform moved
Since the nut didn't build right, I coudln't even test to see if the threads would work.
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
Part 1 = Normal link unit
Part 2 = PCB clamp unit
Part 3 = Base unit
Update (7th May): Issues exist with this design preventing successful print (See comment below from ssd).
You must be logged in to post a comment.