Loading

Fertility Rate in U.S. by Year

by timmmmyboy, published

Fertility Rate in U.S. by Year by timmmmyboy Sep 14, 2012

Description

This is my first shot at taking existing data sets and turning them into physical objects. A colleague of mine gave me a basic line graph and I used Sketchup to turn it on it's side and do a 360 degree extrusion. Ends up looking a bit like a chess piece.

Recent Comments

view all

She pulled it from http://data.worldbank.org/ but wasn't sure which data set in particular it was. Sorry for the lack of information, this was more a test to see that we could take a graph and make it a 3D object. We'll do a better job of documenting along the way next time. :)

I'll ask my coworker who gave me the graph originally (sorry this comment is late, Disqus isn't sending notifications)

What is the source of this data? If you give me the years this covers then I can try to add some text to it in TinkerCad and post it as a derivative. 

More from Learning

view more

Liked By

view all

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

I didn't use any support material but you may want to include support due to the fairly large overhang near the bottom of the model. I printed this on a Replicator with the default settings.

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

AndyP on Sep 23, 2012 said:

What is the source of this data? If you give me the years this covers then I can try to add some text to it in TinkerCad and post it as a derivative. 

timmmmyboy on Oct 1, 2012 said:

She pulled it from http://data.worldbank.org/ but wasn't sure which data set in particular it was. Sorry for the lack of information, this was more a test to see that we could take a graph and make it a 3D object. We'll do a better job of documenting along the way next time. :)

timmmmyboy on Sep 30, 2012 said:

I'll ask my coworker who gave me the graph originally (sorry this comment is late, Disqus isn't sending notifications)

JuliaDee on Sep 15, 2012 said:

Fantastic, and so simple, like many of the best things. I love the idea of an objet d'art that embodies some data of personal significance.

technophobe on Sep 15, 2012 said:

Looks similar to Grand Old Party. Inspiration or coincidence? http://mepler.com/Grand-Old-Pa...

Anonymous on Sep 15, 2012 said:

Wow. Awesome! Thanks for sharing that 8-)

timmmmyboy on Sep 15, 2012 said:

Absolutely inspiration. My colleague showed me that and now I can't stop thinking about the possibilities. Also looking at how to visualize music and other interesting data ala http://www.flavorwire.com/3222...

Top