Desktop Network Socket
by electronicsfordogs, published
This thing has moved to Youmagine: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/desktop-network-socket
This is a network socket that you can put on a shelf or desk. It means you don't need to fiddle about behind or under furniture looking for the wall or floor socket. Instead, you can put the socket wherever you want it and just plug in a patch cable and away you go!
I got the idea from some hotels which have a similar sort of thing on the desk in the room.
Someone said to me "just use a bit of velcro" - yeah, you could, but where's the fun in that?
To make this part, you need a couple of extras. These are:
- A "back to back" network coupler. This little gadget has a network socket on both sides and can be used to extend network cables. I got mine from Amazon for ÃÂ£0.33 UKP: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MQM2FS/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
- Two counter-sink "number 2" screws. These are super-small screws, which you might be able to steal from various toys and other products if you're throwing things away. I got mine from here: http://www.modelfixings.co.uk (again, very cheap)
- Optionally, a load of old screws, fishing weights, ball bearings or other weights (just to give the socket some weight on the desk).
Print the plate however you want (I did this with 0.2mm layers), but I'd recommend printing the dome in high quality (0.1mm layers). You don't need much in-fill for either part (15% seems to be enough).
The dome has two hollow compartments on either side, and a rectangular slot into which you can put the network coupler (you can put a patch cable in the back now, or after you've assembled everything). Fill the two side compartments with weights, and possibly apply a bit of glue so that they don't rattle around. Then fit the plate over the top (it should gently click into place as it has four catches around the sides), then screw in the two screws. Plug in a patch cable if you didn't do so already and place the socket on your desk - easy!
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Desktop Network Socket by electronicsfordogs is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
We're sure electronicsfordogs would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).