Loading

Turnbuckle Boot Cap

by chrisjrob, published

Turnbuckle Boot Cap by chrisjrob Sep 19, 2012

Featured Thing!

Description

Sailing boats typically have plastic or rubber cylindrical covers for the lower part of the shrouds and stays (the wires that hold up the mast). These covers are called "Turnbuckle Boots".

Turnbuckle boots should be topped off with caps, but it is quite common to see the caps broken or missing entirely.

This thing is a replacement for those caps. It is fully parametric and printed perfectly without support.

See pictures to see the printed result on my boat.

Recent Comments

view all

Sorry no, I would suggest you google "turnbuckle boots uk", suppliers of those will probably offer the caps as well. Other than that, contact a local rigger - they'll recommend somewhere.

Chris, I am in the UK and need replacement caps. Have you any idea who produces these? Most of the caps on the boat are fine but one just fell apart today. I don't want to replace the whole cover, unscrewing the turnbuckle and so on.....your help much appreciated.

The "turnbuckle boot" seems to be the term for the whole cover, so I guess it would be a "turnbuckle boot cap"!

More from Sport & Outdoors

view more

Liked By

view all
Bre Pettis

License

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

Download [the OpenSCAD source](http://www.fabfabbers.com/models/id/150/shroudcap-by-chrisjrob "FabFabbers") and edit to your requirements.
No special print instructions, printed fine on a RepRap Prusa Mendel without support.

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Hollyberries3 on Apr 21, 2013 said:

Chris, I am in the UK and need replacement caps. Have you any idea who produces these? Most of the caps on the boat are fine but one just fell apart today. I don't want to replace the whole cover, unscrewing the turnbuckle and so on.....your help much appreciated.

chrisjrob on Apr 22, 2013 said:

Sorry no, I would suggest you google "turnbuckle boots uk", suppliers of those will probably offer the caps as well. Other than that, contact a local rigger - they'll recommend somewhere.

Lodorenos on Sep 20, 2012 said:

Wonderful idea, glad to see this featured. I don't currently have a boat, but I hope to someday!

lasivian on Sep 20, 2012 said:

 I think this is called a "Turnbuckle Boot" but i'm not certain.

chrisjrob on Oct 8, 2012 said:

The "turnbuckle boot" seems to be the term for the whole cover, so I guess it would be a "turnbuckle boot cap"!

Top