Loading

The Ultimate Catapult, almost. [Seej]

by roguemat, published

The Ultimate Catapult, almost. [Seej] by roguemat Sep 28, 2012

Featured Thing!

Description

I present to you, The Ultimate Catapult, almost!

I originally made this to shoot the 2cm X 2cm calibration cubes, but it's actually the perfect Seej weapon too!

It catapults the cube an extremely impressive distance due to the angle that it releases it at.

It also has a fully working trigger system, and is sturdy enough to add quite a few elastics.

There are quite a few parts, but assembling it all is part of the fun, and totally worth it.

"almost" is because I have a few modifications (and yes, even MORE parts) that I have in mind for a V2.

Note: This is one of the first thing's I've made. I am very new to this whole printing thing, and even newer to modelling. I've just watched the Sketchup training vids on YT - so I hope the models are OK.

Please let me know if I've done things right. I've also included the SketchupFile so you guys can have your way with it. And a zip of everything.

Recent Comments

view all
I'd say add some holes for two extra pins to keep the rubber bands from coming out...
That could explain why you are getting very different results to me. All my parts print way stronger than they need to be - which is why I edited most of them to have *less* support so I didn't waste ABS.
I will make sure to add more strength to future models.

BTW, is strength the main thing you have changed in your derivatives, or is there something else?
my print on the printrbot is coming along nicely, with some slight mods.

More from Playsets

view more

Liked By

view all

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag. Print Thing Tag

Instructions

It's rather complicated to explain the assembly, so please WATCH THIS VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjHKZ9OX4ec

Having only recently set-up my Thing-O-Matic, I printed everything with default Skeinforge settings, with one exception, I turned Extra Shells off. I printed all the parts between 10 and 20% infill, and although it looks like a mass to print, the final build is only +-27grams. Printed without raft or support, and needed to set the HBP to 110 to make some smaller things stick nicely.

I made this to print on my Thing-O-Matic, so it should fit on pretty much anything :P

Here's what you will need to print: 2 x SidePins 2 x TriggerPins 4 x PinTabs 1 x Bucket 2 x FrontBarTab (rotate this in ReplicatorG so it's flat.) 1 x FrontBar 2 x SidePanels 1 x TriggerBar 1 x TriggerTab 1 x TriggerBlock

I didn't record printing times, but as far as I rememeber most of the parts were very quick to print, with the exception of the side panels which took around an hour.

Have fun :D

I'd say add some holes for two extra pins to keep the rubber bands from coming out...
my print on the printrbot is coming along nicely, with some slight mods.
That could explain why you are getting very different results to me. All my parts print way stronger than they need to be - which is why I edited most of them to have *less* support so I didn't waste ABS.
I will make sure to add more strength to future models.

BTW, is strength the main thing you have changed in your derivatives, or is there something else?
what settings did you use on the pins. I cant seem to get them to print well at all. even tried 4 at a time for extra cooling.
I used the standard Skeinforge 35 1.75mm ABS MK7 settings, except with extra shells on 0. They printed fine with the exception of a few small blobs which I just filed down. I used no extra cooling. Print them upright.
Make a  trebuchet!
There is one already: thingiverse.com/thing:11955
Desktop Trebuchet
by jam4ar
See, the problem is that it doesn't shoot far enough. That one you linked actually works much better than I thought it would, but still can't compete with good ol' elastics.
 I've been playing with ideas for just that, but the physics just don't work at this scale :-/
Top