Mendel90 x-carriage with z probe
by LarsBrubaker, published
This is a modification of the mendel90's x-carriage that adds a z probe. When used with new firmware (MatterPrint3D) your mendel90 can auto calibrate the bed height and dynamically compensate to ensure level.
Stuff you will need.
1 - printed x-carriage
1 - printed z-probe-mount
1 - printed up-down-bar
5 - 2.5m x 12m socket head cap screws
1 - 3m x 25m socket head cap screw
4 - 3m washers
1 - 3m nyloc nut
1 - mechanical limit switch
2 - 10mm x 5mm x 3mm neodymium magnets (ours came from a sonicare brush head)
MaterPrint3D firmware: https://bitbucket.org/MatterHackers/matterprint3d
- Print out the new x-carriage, z-probe-mount and up-down-bar.
- Press the magnets into the holes on the x-carriage.
- Attache the limit switch to the z-probe-mount with 2x 2.5m x 12 screws
- Attache the up-down-bar to the z-probe-mount with 2x 2.5m x 12 screws and put on nuts.
- Attache the z-probe-mount to the x-carriage with the 3m x 25 screws placing a washer after the screw head, between the carriage edge and the probe edge on both sides, and before the nyloc nut.
- Put the new mount on you mendel90.
- Drill a 2.2mm hole into your mendel90 frame, 9mm from the left inside cut out and 5mm above the bottom of the cut out. This will hold the raising and lowing pin.
- Insert one 2.5m x 12 screw into the raising and lowering pin hole.
- Hook up the z-probe to the z-min switch connection.
- Add a G29 to your slic3r custom g-code config just after the G28 (home all axis).
You can read our article and see videos at: https://www.matterhackers.com/news/automatic-printer-calibration-update
Currently MatterPrint3D is only set up to work with RAMPS boards. If you have another board you will have to get the z-bed switch working on the z-min switch for your printer. If you do, we would love to have your patch.
Have fun printing,
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Mendel90 x-carriage with z probe by LarsBrubaker is licensed under the GNU - GPL license.
What does this mean?
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving LarsBrubaker a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure LarsBrubaker would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).