by CosmoWenman, published
I made it in SketchUp using online photo references and specs. I sized a couple of the larger gears according to dimensions from the device's Wikipedia entry, and put the right number of teeth on them too. All the rest is very loose tracing over imported images.
I used this more as a canvas than as a finished object, to experiment with adding textures post-print, and bronzing PLA and adding reactive patinas.
I cut it into pieces sized for printing on a Replicator1; they're the "1,2,3,4" files. I split the front and back so I could offset them by hand to add some variation. I've included the complete object too.
I printed mine in PLA, hollow, with 4 walls, and fat layer heights, and glued the pieces together.
If I make another, I think I'll fill it with steel shot to give it some weight.
Recent Commentsview all
After 13 hours of printing and almost complete the print looked great. I thought that I was going to have a nice complete print but I made a fatal error when I sliced the STL file. I forgot to resize it to the maximum size for the build plate. The build was too large and the extruder hit the build and tore it off of the build plate. Lesson learned!!
The portion that did print looks great though cleaning off the support material is a real pain.
Thanks for providing the file
Well done, CosmoWenman! Great texturing and bronzing! The Hublot watch company just created a miniature version of the Antikythera mechanism as a showpiece watch - see: http://www.gizmag.com/hublot-a.... The article presents a very interesting history of how the mechanism was discovered, its probable (indirect) connection with Archimedes, and what it computed. It appears to have been the first analog computer - taking in date input from the user and outputting info on the position of the sun, moon, five planets, the phase of the moon, and predicting dates and times of eclipses!
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
You must be logged in to post a comment.