by MakerBot, published
A posable action figure robot with flashing electronic eyes! This is a fun multi-media project seen in the December 2012 issue of WIRED.
Here's how it works: Buy the necessary electronic components from RadioShack (grab a copy of WIRED to learn more!), download and make the parts listed below, and go find a standard bubble capsule from a coin-operated vending machine for the dome.
<i>Modeling by Todd; circuit design by Andres. </i>
Recent Commentsview all
Liked Byview all
Give a Shout Out
- Trim away pads from claws.
- Solder circuit together as seen in the diagram.
- Slide in battery pack into place.
- Take off the red cap and then remove the nuts and washers from the end of the switch.
- Put the switch inside the body and poke it out through the hole in the front.
- Slip the switch cross beam into place so that the switch stays in place.
- Press red cap into M button and snap onto the switch.
- Orient the circuit board's holes line up with the holes in the body.
- Slide the LEDs through the holes in the collar.
- Screw the collar-circuitboard-body assembly together using the screws
- Snap the clear plastic dome on top.
- Snap claws onto hands. Some force may be required to get it to snap into place, but the result is a nice gripping claw.
- Press pin into left shoulder of body, and attach into left upper arm.
- Press pin into left upper arm, and attach into left elbow.
- Press pin into left hand and attach to left elbow.
- Repeat for right arm.
- Attach left boot to left ankle using pin.
- Repeat for right boot.
For best results, we recommend the following settings.
Infill: 5% Layer Height: 200 microns (0.20 mm) Shells: 2