Tetrahedron Gantry Concept
by coelestinian, published
This is just an idea. I don't know how feasible it is, or whether it's worth building or calibrating. In fact, I don't know almost anything about it...
It's a somewhat different 3D gantry design based around a tetrahedron. There are three axes, belt-driven or what-have-you, and each is connected by a sarrus linkage to the end platform.
I like it because it's extremely stable (tetrahedron) and every axis is exactly the same.
However, (1) it needs complex maths, (2) there's a large footprint, and (3) nobody's actually tried it.
1) Make it more of a tetrahedron instead of a right-angled pyramid thing.
2) Design actual files.
3) Print and assemble.
4) Be astonished (hopefully) at amazing stability and resolution!
(As for the OpenSCAD file, open and animate it at around 20 FPS, 180 steps)
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
Tetrahedron Gantry Concept by coelestinian is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving coelestinian a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure coelestinian would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).